Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Sour

Hi all

Revived my Oscar after a couple of issues, some mine, some Oscars but I'm really struggling to get a sourness under control. Tried different blend, flushes, does, bean dates etc and ristretto up to the old fashioned 60ml in 30. I tried cutting the shot into three on the pour and the 25 second plus cup was more pleasant than the centre cut, whilst still being awful. I'm not talking a sourness "tweak" here, its something affecting everything.

Any thoughts? Out of ideas.

C.

G'day Chris...

What sort of beans are you using mate and what was their roast date, if known?

Alternatively, it is possible that your brew water temp. may be a bit low. How long since the machine was last serviced?

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal

Variety of beans from about 5 day to 2 weeks.

I managed to get a 100% ratio Ristretto that didn't come out sour last night so I'll try and work back to 50%. Something is going on, just got to work out what.

Comment

It does sound like low brew temp.

Comment

Hi,
          I like a dark roast and found I had to increase temp to 123 on my Izzo's to get rid of a slight sour taste. Now great
          May be worth experimenting?
          Cheers
          Dave

Comment

Brew temp was an issue for me using a double basket on the Breville. I figure it's because the water passes through a lot of coffee, but regardless of the actual explanation I raised the temp and sure enough it's perfect. If you have a single basket, at least see if that makes any difference to sourness. Might help to identify that temp is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Dave View Post
              May be worth experimenting?
              Too right....

Always worth experimenting, one change at a time...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X