More bad news for Coffee Capsules/Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More bad news for Coffee Capsules/Pods

As the title suggests, another bad rap for convenient coffee capsules/pods...
    Coffee pods emerge as new environmental enemy : Renew Economy

Mal.

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    As the title suggests, another bad rap for convenient coffee capsules/pods...
    Coffee pods emerge as new environmental enemy : Renew Economy
    Yeah, I believe they've been through this in the US already and as a consequence Nescafe (or is it Nestle? I've never actually bothered to look up exactly where the Nes part comes from) have had to set up a recycling program for the pods (which is, apparently also rolled out here, my local post office has a "pod recycling bin"), however we all know people are lazy so I'd be pretty confident in predicting that less than 50% of users (probably much less than that even) actually USE the recycling program...
    Last edited by jbrewster; 19 March 2015, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I concur with the above. Very wasteful of the earths precious resources.
      Also could someone please explain how passing steam / hot water through plastic& aluminium is good
      For a human beings health ??
      OK I only got to fifth grade .... Make the expalntion short & simple pls

Comment

They have a recycling program for PODS? :\

I bet less than 10% use that! They simply go into the bin lol..

Comment

Originally posted by neofelis View Post
          I bet less than 10% use that! They simply go into the bin lol..
          Yeah, that's my bet too, the point of pods is to be convenient, having to separately dispose of them somewhere other than your general waste is incovenient, ergo most people who buy pod machines aren't likely to use the recycling programs.

Comment

Originally posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
            I concur with the above. Very wasteful of the earths precious resources...
            While I'm inclined to agree, before we all get on our high horse, perhaps we should consider how many pods it would take to offset the material difference between a Nespresso machine and a 30kg or more of espresso machine and grinder? Lifecycle analysis people.

Of course, you'd have to factor in the relative longevity of the nespresso machine and the pod packaging equipment...

Comment

C'mon mr jack ..... that's a non argument.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                C'mon mr jack ..... that's a non argument.
                I couldn't have said it better... after all, if you're inclined to agree, then why disagree???

Comment

A non-argument? Prove it.

I'm inclined to agree because I don't like needless waste, and my intuition tells me it is more wasteful. I'm playing devil's advocate because my education and experience tells me that reality doesn't always conform to intuition and that the whole lifecycle impact often looks very different to the obvious impact.

Most people can't see the bigger picture.

Comment

An obtuse visionary... how wonderful

Comment

So, who do we think would win in a fight between a cat and a squirrel? I think the cat would win, but then again, if the cat started too hard the squirrel might finish over the top of him.

Comment

What colour is this dress?
                        Time for my lartay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426803625.215990.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	738641

Comment

My mistake, I thought this was a serious discussion.

I guess you were right in one sense Chokkidog - this forum wouldn't exist if any of us put sustainability ahead of our desire for good coffee.

Comment

As far as sustainability what could be greener than many of the craft coffee types of brewing from French press to pour over and stove top Moka and vacuum pots. To me the pods are more plastics in the garbage stream cluttering the environment and are a quite expensive way to buy stale coffee. I am using a Nicro stainless steel vacuum coffee maker made a minimum of 40+ years ago as my daily brewer.

Comment

Given how Pod coffee tastes, they could solve the problem by eliminating the plastic capsule altogether, compressing the grinds into a marble-sized ball, and sealing it with a soluble tasteless gum.
                              Then they could just drop the thing into the machine and empty the collected grind once a day/week/month.
                              Actually you could use a coffee-flavoured gum that would enhance the flavour of the product.

Comment

Working...
                              X