Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kickstarter again; this time sonicated coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter again; this time sonicated coffee?

Well.. It seems I spend too much time on Kickstarter. Has anyone ever heard of coffee being sonicated before? Or on top of that, it being a good idea?

Never heard of it before.
    ...but I do have an ultrasonic bath for washing parts.
    Maybe I should have used it as a coffee brewer instead?

Comment

I know that ultrasound is used to speed up chemical reactions (in solutions), and imagine it would affect diffusion rates too.

Never seen anything specific for coffee though (and the word 'sonicated' sounds like marketing jargon)...

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
        (and the word 'sonicated' sounds like marketing jargon)...
        No, it's a genuine descriptor of the process alright but knowing how marketing depts operate, someone probably mentioned it in describing some aspect of the process after which the marketing bod's latched on to it....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          No, it's a genuine descriptor of the process alright but knowing how marketing depts operate, someone probably mentioned it in describing some aspect of the process after which the marketing bod's latched on to it....

Mal.
          I actually investigated the technique during a research project some years ago, but somehow didn't make the connection to 'ultrasonication' (fading memory perhaps).

Comment

Sonication refers to the use of high energy sound waves, giving molecules in a solution 'more energy'. Low energy waves in an ultrasonic bath (jewlery cleaner) help dislodge dirt on items, and help dissolve stuff faster than just stirring. High energy sound waves in a probe type sonicator have various uses including breaking apart cells and forming emulsions, although you need to be careful with hearing protection and not to touch the probe tip (unless you want your finger cells to lyse!).

A google search finds that both have been used before for speeding up cold brew coffee, along with a rather odd patent filed by a Russian scientist.

My gut feeling is that an ultrasonic coffee maker would be little more than a marketing ploy, but you never know - speeding up the brewing process could impart a different flavour profile. Marketing ploys seem to be quite successful on kickstarter

Comment

Got a link, Anthorien? I'm not finding anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                Got a link, Anthorien? I'm not finding anything.
                Googling "sonicated coffee" yielded the following: Sonicating Coffee - So Little Time

Comment

Ah, cheers. I'd been specifically looking for a kickstarter campaign.

Comment

I'll pass on this one I think

Comment

I can't say that cold brew looked appetising...

Comment

"It's a bit nutty"

Comment

Looks like something someone dredged from the Murray, I'd ask for tea instead.

Comment

Sorry guys, totally forgot to add the link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

His campaign video certainly leaves a lot to be desired...

Comment

Originally posted by Anthorien View Post
                              His campaign video certainly leaves a lot to be desired...
                              Eh, production values aren't gonna be huge on a little project like this and not everyone can do a great voiceover.

That said...

- Massively increased caffeine content? Gonna need some proof of that...
                              - Absolutely no incentive for backing, just a credit of your backing amount toward the yet-to-be-finalised RRP?
                              - Has a roaster as part of the team, yet talks about avoiding "the bitterness of espresso" as though espresso has to be bitter?
                              - "Be sure to apply no more than 20 seconds of ultrasound, or the flavour will begin to fade" ... that just doesn't sound right.

It might end up being a cool way to speed up immersion brewing, but I'm not feeling it, purely on the basis of what they're saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X