Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Water Filtration - Will this work/be enough??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Water Filtration - Will this work/be enough??

I'm looking to upgrade my home machine and as part of this want to make sure I have set up the water correctly. I have read so much water info, I'm swimming in it now!! Completely confused (almost!).

The machine won't be plumbed.

I know the Brita C150 is preferred/popular, however I want to avoid another tap on my already space challenged sink top (read "the missus won't let me!!"). I think the best option (only??) is for me to do an under sink in-line setup.

I was thinking of the Everpure 4CB5-S cartridge with suitable head direct to my cold water tap (mixer).

My question is, is this cartridge enough in it's own right, and will the cold water coming out the mixer tap be slowed so much that it drives me (err the missus, therefore ultimately me!) completely nuts!

I'm happy to replace the cartridge 6-12 monthly, but given the machine cost, I really don't want to come up short on looking after it!

I'm fumbling around a bit here so any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

What's the flow rate of the everpure? I'm running a 3m Hf15 system which has a fairly high flow rate of 3.9 litres/minute and even that is too slow for a kitchen tap used day to day. Eg filling the sink would take a very long time.

What you might consider is connecting the filtration system to another tap near the kitchen that is not as regularly used.

For example if you have an internal laundry that is handy to the kitchen you could fill your jugs up there. And the lower flow rate may not be an issue for you.

Comment

Thanks herzog, the 4CB5-S is 6.3l/m, so it should be a bit better. I live in an old QLD'r and being small the laundry is down stairs. No alternative sink/tap options upstairs.

I have had a look at changing the mixer tap to a 3-way but if I can find a simple inline solution that will enable me to use the current tap, that would be preferable.

Does anyone know if the Everpure 4FC-S or the 4CB5-S are sufficient to keep my new coffee machine safe and happy? Do I need to do anything else to the water?

Comment

I live in an old QLDr and have an under sink with a small, push lever tap. It sits at the back to one side. It has a 2 stage under sink filter, I think it was 50u and 5, but I was talked into the 0.5u. We use it for the coffee machine, kettle and cooking water only. It has a good flow rate, but I don't think it's fast enough for all water. Also the filter replacement would step up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mike2e and welcome to CS!! It's a great little resource. Are you in Brisbane too?

Your setup has a second tap right? I was hoping to avoid that if I can. Ideally if anyone knows of a descaling, under sink solution that I can get strong enough flow directly into my existing cold water mixer tap, without needing to get a 3 way tap. I think it's the cartridge that I listed above but I was hoping to find someone who had already done this to confirm that:

a) the water flow is ok - strong enough to use for normal sink stuff
          &
          b) that this cartridge will look after my new giotto or expobar minore

It may not be possible, but I figure if anyone knows how to do it, they'll reside in this wonderful collective of all knowing coffee knowledge! Thanks!

Comment

Contact a local company based in SE QLD with local knowledge of filtration requirements. What is good for Melbourne or Adelaide will not suit you.
            Look for filter systems Aust. They have a web store as well, under the name magnetic world.

Comment

Thanks Bosco_Lever that sounds like solid advice!

Comment

Prob not of interest to many, but for future searchers of water truth (?).....

Everpure 4FC-S (if it'll fit under your sink!) will work plumbing into your cold water tap and at 9.5l/m flow rate, it won't cause you to pull your hair out waiting for a glass of water! AND apparently it will get rid of your nasty calcium/magnesium (it is magnesium isn't it???) scale causing badness! Good for Brisbane folk anyways (apparently).

A big shout out to Pedro at Coffeeparts for putting me on the right track! Thanks!
                (the 4CB5-S will also work, just a bit slower flow)

Now to stop procrastinating and pick a coffee machine....

Comment

Hi Coffee_Dude, I am in in Brisbane, Albany Creek, I do have a second tap, but it takes little space at the back corner. We used a Brita for the first year, but it was lot of hassle and waste of space. I rechecked the type, it is a Steffani Dual under counter available at the Big hardware. I measured the flow rate tonight at 6 L/min. I had forgotten that I put a 0.2pm filter in place of the 0.5 at last filter change. They state change every 6 months, but I wait until the flow begins to slow.
                  I was considering changing to a 3 filter setup because I thought the filter would clog up quickly. When our machine steam pump leaked from blocking up, the repair agent who seems to have closed up, had a dual filter in line for the whole house, and a second setup in the sink mixer, and his coffee machine still blocked up. I was told this after the Sunbeam 6910 we had needed the steam pump changed for the second time in 2 years despite the filters. We have had a Breville dual boiler now for a few years with no problems but the machines internal filter is changed every 3 months.

Comment

Home Water Filtration - Will this work/be enough??

Hi coffee dude, do you know would the everpure cartridges work with the aquaport 1/4 inch connection piece available at major hardware stores? The everpure connection piece looks like a bit big and clumsy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MikE2e View Post
                      Hi Coffee_Dude, I am in in Brisbane, Albany Creek, I do have a second tap, but it takes little space at the back corner. We used a Brita for the first year, but it was lot of hassle and waste of space. I rechecked the type, it is a Steffani Dual under counter available at the Big hardware. I measured the flow rate tonight at 6 L/min. I had forgotten that I put a 0.2pm filter in place of the 0.5 at last filter change. They state change every 6 months, but I wait until the flow begins to slow.
                      I was considering changing to a 3 filter setup because I thought the filter would clog up quickly. When our machine steam pump leaked from blocking up, the repair agent who seems to have closed up, had a dual filter in line for the whole house, and a second setup in the sink mixer, and his coffee machine still blocked up. I was told this after the Sunbeam 6910 we had needed the steam pump changed for the second time in 2 years despite the filters. We have had a Breville dual boiler now for a few years with no problems but the machines internal filter is changed every 3 months.
                      Thanks Mike2e, I had a look at the Steffani Dual one available at Bunnys but it didn't appear to address the water hardness issue that can cause coffee machines so much grief. I think, from memory, the Steffani was great for providing the user with clean water, but not really going to do much for the scale causing badness that comes with hard water. My understanding is that needs to be dealt with through an ion exchange process (or reverse osmosis...maybe? but that's a whole other level of confusion!). I suspect your changing the internal filter every 3 months is doing more for your machine then the Steffani Undersink system. Maybe someone with more water hardness/filtration knowledge could confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by pyrmontboy200 View Post
                        Hi coffee dude, do you know would the everpure cartridges work with the aquaport 1/4 inch connection piece available at major hardware stores? The everpure connection piece looks like a bit big and clumsy to me.

Hi pyrmontboy200, sorry but I don't know. I've yet to get my everpure setup, but when I do I can have a look and let you know.... that's if no one with actual knowledge jumps in first (fingers crossed!)

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice. Cheers!

Comment

It's cool, thanks for the reply, I've just gone and ordered a similar setup to you, except with the slower rate canister as the fast flow rate one you mention is too tall to fit vertically under my sink.

Comment

Interesting thread as I am tossing up between a Britta and Everpure system.
                            Thanks for the comments and advice so far!

Comment

Anyone know if a pressure limiting valve is required in Sydney for a Everpure 4cb5s? Thanks in advance...

Comment

Working...
                              X