Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem

Hi all, hope someone can help.
    Lately I cant seem to get the right setting on my grinder. at one setting it seems to fine as the pump has a problem trying to push the water through and it takes about a whole minute to get a cuppa. If I go to one setting coarser the coffee pours through much to fast.
    I dont know if its the pump on my Bezzera machine wearing out and not being able to pump through the finer grind or is it my Grinder which is also a Bezzera.
    Do these pumps eventually wear out or not or is there some slack in the adjustment ring of the grinder that can be fixed
    Last edited by sailor; 21 June 2015, 10:37 AM.

Are you using fresh beans?

Java "♫♪How old are those beeeeeans in the grinderrrrr...♫♪" phile
    sung to the tune of 'How much are those doggies in the window'
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

allways use fresh beans

Comment

Sounds like quite a dramatic change from one increment to another.

Do you weigh your dose? Or check its consistency in some other way?

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          allways use fresh beans
          Fresh beans by what measurement? Bought in a grocery store? A coffee shop? Home roasted? How long ago were they roasted? How have they been stored? Have you changed your bean supplier? Exactly what equipment do you have? How long have you had the equipment? Has the weather changed?

The more information you give the more likely the problem will be correctly diagnosed.

Java "Data! Must....have....data!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

My grinder is a doser so I get the same amount everytime. coffee is from a roaster, age of beans is irelevant. if its a day old or 10 years old if the beans are the same it should be consistent. will have to pull the grinder apart to see if something is loose in there, changing the grind setting by 1 notch should not make such a huge difference

Comment

My grinder is a doser so I get the same amount everytime. coffee is from a roaster, age of beans is irelevant. if its a day old or 10 years old if the beans are the same it should be consistent. will have to pull the grinder apart to see if something is loose in there, changing the grind setting by 1 notch should not make such a huge difference
              Hmmmmm. Some big calls in there.

Have you tried backing the grinder off to very coarse, running it till it empties, then returning to normal espresso range?

Comment

Not true about age of beans being irelevant. Makes a huge difference. All else equal, older coffee will flow faster than fresh coffee and is much harder to nail the flow. Recommended freshness windows is about 1-3 weeks after the roast date.

Same for the doser, unless you fill the doser fully, you can't get consistent amount of coffee with the flick. If you do fill the doser fully, you have another problem - where the old grind (coarser) mixing with new grind (Supposedly finer grind) that affects your espresso flow. Not to mention the stale coffee if they've been sitting for longer than 20 min. That would also affect how you would change the grind, unless you have a way to clear 95% of grind from the doser and the grinder's throat.

Regardless, let's assume you're using the exact same workflow & coffee(same batch) and it has worked before, did anything change now? Cleaning the grinder is good after a long service, but it's unlikely the pump problem (unles the pump sounds differently now which should be obvious).

Comment

My grinder is a doser so I get the same amount everytime.
                  Sorry, but nope

coffee is from a roaster, age of beans is irelevant.
                  Sorry, but nope

if its a day old or 10 years old if the beans are the same it should be consistent.
                  Sorry, but nope

will have to pull the grinder apart to see if something is loose in there, changing the grind setting by 1 notch should not make such a huge difference
                  Sorry, but nope- with 10 week old or 10 year old beans, I am not surprised in the least!

Comment

yes done that

Comment

pump sounds noisier in the finer grind which is obvious as its struggling to push the water through, hence a very slow flow

Comment

Don't think there is such a thing as a consistent grind, I wish there was.
                        When I was first told humidity changes grind settings I passed it off as rubbish. Soon learnt that I fequentely needed to adjust based on weather each day. For me morning shots always need to be finer grind to get same flow, as small as 1-3 notches

Comment

The general rule of threes for coffee that is considered to be fresh:

3 years for greens
                          3 weeks for roasted
                          3 minutes for ground

I have found if I use stale coffee, getting anything decent tasting and a good pour is a struggle. Fresh beans make a world of difference.

Cheers

Comment

It always surprises me that people think it's Ok to use roasted coffee that is months, or even years old.

It's a fresh food and once cooked (roasted), (like lots of other dried food) it's always best when consumed while fresh, that's how it's meant to be used...

Mal.
                            Last edited by Dimal; 23 June 2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Yeah, but in hindsight before I became a (educated) snob and tasted a very decent brew I didn't know what I was missing out on and didn't know coffee could be so delicious. I wonder how many others are in the same boat?

Needless to say there is no looking back now! Have learnt a heap on here.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X