Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A film about Coffee

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A film about Coffee

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILkwdSKEGL0



    I have only started watching it, so I dont know how good or bad it is. Make what you want of it and comment what you wish about it.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  • #2
    It is one of the best documentaries about the coffee industry and I like in particular the way the stories of baristas, farmers and roasters are intertwined showing us the different faces of the 'brown diamond', jumping form the chic cafes in San Francisco, to the farms in Rwanda, meeting Daibo in Japan and then to other farms in Honduras ... It is almost 'Tarantinesque'

    I also recommend 'Black Coffee' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpgAjwfxa9s

    Comment


    • #3
      Well that was better than I expected. What a great film. It was humbling in parts and well worth a watch.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILkwdSKEGL0



        I have only started watching it, so I dont know how good or bad it is. Make what you want of it and comment what you wish about it.

        Cheers,

        Chris
        For some reason the YouTube link states that the video is unavailable.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kopigeek View Post
          For some reason the YouTube link states that the video is unavailable.
          I just checked again and it worked fine for me. You might have too many defenses in your computer for it to work (pop-ups blocked, cookies disabled etc.). Just go to You Tube and search 'A Film About Coffee'.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
            I just checked again and it worked fine for me. You might have too many defenses in your computer for it to work (pop-ups blocked, cookies disabled etc.). Just go to You Tube and search 'A Film About Coffee'.
            Might just be its not available on mobile devices. I'll try again on my computer later on.

            Thanks for the link leroy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kopigeek View Post
              Might just be its not available on mobile devices. I'll try again on my computer later on.

              Thanks for the link leroy.
              It's on mobile devices, I just checked on my iPhone. The link doesn't work, but when I searched for it in You Tube it was there and played. It was listed as 'A Film about Coffee Full Movie' and played fine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                It's on mobile devices, I just checked on my iPhone. The link doesn't work, but when I searched for it in You Tube it was there and played. It was listed as 'A Film about Coffee Full Movie' and played fine.
                Found it. This is a must watch. I've been hanging to see it. Cheers again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  wow..... just finished watching. Absolutely amazing. Best thing I've watch in years

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great find Chris...

                    That film is a work of art...

                    Mal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I may be the only person who is going to come in and ruin the party. Ok ok not that badly.. I did enjoy the film, but I appreciated it more as an art film than a coffee film. I agree with the comment that it was humbling and it did intertwine different roles within the industry very well. I guess I was expecting a more detailed film.

                      I'll be fair and say that it was my expectations that let me down, not the film. The film is clearly for a wider audience, therefore it cannot provide too much depth. I was originally expecting a full documentary style film. It had beautiful cinematography and I loved the scene with the producers in Honduras. I still recommend it for those who haven't seen it. Definitely watch black coffee for an informative documentary.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gonzo89 View Post
                        I may be the only person who is going to come in and ruin the party. Ok ok not that badly.. I did enjoy the film, but I appreciated it more as an art film than a coffee film. I agree with the comment that it was humbling and it did intertwine different roles within the industry very well. I guess I was expecting a more detailed film.

                        I'll be fair and say that it was my expectations that let me down, not the film. The film is clearly for a wider audience, therefore it cannot provide too much depth. I was originally expecting a full documentary style film. It had beautiful cinematography and I loved the scene with the producers in Honduras. I still recommend it for those who haven't seen it. Definitely watch black coffee for an informative documentary.
                        Not at all Gonzo, what you say is bang on. The focus of this film is fairly narrow and that was obviously quite intentional on the part of the film makers. If anyone is looking for a documentary about the history of the coffee industry they need to look elsewhere (“Black Coffee” for example). So I can understand that if you were expecting something different those expectations weren’t met. Luckily for me I had no expectations (other than possibly some slightly negative ones about American hipster baristas), so I was able to watch the film with a fairly open mind and enjoy it. So I’d still say to others that it’s worth a look. Just don’t expect a broad, informative film about global coffee, rather a story about the changing specialty coffee market in the US and the growing ‘direct trade’ business model.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It was informative. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure you'd call it an art film. They utilised interviews for the story telling some with eyewitness generations/decendants of well known Coffee Roasters (as well as decendant of the workers) and their accounts of historical coffee events which I thought brought credibility to the film.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Actually, I wasn't intending to assert that the film was an "Art Film" per sé, just that the quality of the camera work was quite superb. The information conveyed therein was also of decent quality - A good film...

                            Mal.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X