Madagascar coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madagascar coffee

On the radio in the wee small hours of the morning I heard a fellow (I think from Ciscos coffee roasters here in Melbourne) saying that a very limited amount of Madagascan beans has come into the country, or is about to, and that they make an outstanding, pungent brew especially well-suited for moka pots.

It sounds intriguing and Im wondering if its something we can get our noses into?

Cheers,

Rob

Re: Madagascar coffee

Why dont you ring the roaster and find out?

Comment

Not an origin that our many brokers have ever mentioned before. Ill ask around this week and see if we can find where it is, if its available and what samples we can scrounge.

The only Magagascar coffee that I have ever heard of was one that was a natural low-caffeine (nearly de-caf) which is an interesting thought. I would expect that because the extra processing isnt needed that the roasts from this would be far better.

Comment

A quick google found the variety that I was thinking about...

Mascarocoffea Vianneyi

Comment

I did ask around a few brokers and the word on the street is that nearly 100% of the exported Madagascar coffee is robusta. I even spoke to one poor broker who went to origin, bought a container for $50,000 and it never showed-up (ouch!)

So at the moment it looks doubtful that we will see it in CS anytime soon. Ill keep my eyes peeled though.

Comment

Interesting. I will try calling the fella himself (the roaster) if I remember in the morning. Perhaps he was referring to the naturally decaffeinated variety; I dont think it was a robusta, as he made a point of stressing the importance of 100% arabica.

Thanks for looking into it.

Does the word on the street have anything to say about the timing of the next BeanBay?

Rob

Comment

I hear mid next week is a fair bet... but not confirmed yet.

...or so I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1178422631/0#6 date=1179494117
                I hear mid next week is a fair bet... but not confirmed yet.

...or so I hear.
                In the words of my 22-month old: " yyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy!"

Comment

Shhh dont tell everyone or this thread will get deleted for being off-topic.

( go here )

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1179495044

Comment

Working...
                  X