Whats the best to use for plunger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best to use for plunger.

Next weekend I am going to a friends house for a tupperware party and our tupperware man wants to demonstrate the Tupperware plunger.

I volunteered to take some home roasted beans for obvious reasons and was wondering which, of my selection would be the best to take.

I was also wondering the best type of roast to do for the plunger. Most of the participants have milk and some sugar in their coffee. I am also taking my hand grinder for absolute freshness of the beans.

My current supply is

Tiger Mountain
    Bali Gunung agung
    Yirgacheffe
    Ethiopian Limmu
    Grace Estate (Still getting the roast right)
    Monsoooned Peaberry (still not confident with this one)

I was planning on roasting tomorrow (monday) so they will have a chance to de-gas and be ready for Saturday morning.

Any suggestions would be welcome as I am not a great plunger drinker.

Re: Whats the best to use for plunger.

havent tried all of them but i really like a yirg (roasted just before 2nd crack) in the plunger

Comment

Of the few Ive tried lately, a PNG was really nice and chocolately.

Comment

Hmmm,

Decisions decisions.... Id go for a blend of the Tiger Mountain and the Bali Gunung in a ratio of 65/35 respectively. With roasts for Plunger, you dont want the roasts to progress too far and Id be pulling them up well before 2nd Crack, especially if a lot of the resulting coffee is going be used in milk drinks. Try for individual roasts that end at about the 30 seconds before 2nd Crack starts or even a little earlier. The beans will probably need to rest for a bit longer but the wait will be worth it .

Mal.

Comment

Thabks Mal, I was thinking that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt King link=1178426983/0#2 date=1178441465
            Agreed... I Plunge the PNG A Kimel at work and its awesome.. roasted to start of 2nd...

Comment

Ive roasted the beans and rang my friend to see if she had a grinder and it seems she has a eurolab machine (I know, I know) that has an in built grinder. I think I will take my hand grinder with me as I dont think the grinder will be able to grind separately.

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1178426983/0#5 date=1178495383
                Originally posted by Matt King link=1178426983/0#2 date=1178441465
                Agreed... I Plunge the PNG A Kimel at work and its awesome.. roasted to start of 2nd...
                Yep,

Agree with you both, but Cindy doesnt have these beans listed :-?

Mal.

Comment

No I dont have the Kimmel. I think the blend I have done should suffice. I had a smell today and it smelt great.

Comment

UPDATE:

Ground them up just before use today and used them in the Tupperware plunger. Absolutely fantastic. The perfume went through the whole kitchen. Nicest plunger coffee I have ever had - and I printed off Alan Frews instructions for people. As the Tupperware plunger is on special this week I think a few were sold.

Just as an aside - This is the first time I have ever seen or used the Tupperware plunger and I was very impressed with it. Not a cheap item, but it is very good.

Comment

Sounds like a great afternoon Cindy... Good stuff

Mal.

Comment

I hadnt seen one before so Googled some up.
                        They look well made but the RRP is ridiculous as well as the asking price from some.
                        Although bargains appear to be available if one looks hard enough.

I think theyre a bit ugly too.

Comment

TG, the RRP is actually because they have a lifetime replacement warranty and they are insulated (which I didnt know) so the outside stays cool (which it does).

Like you saud - there are bargains around if you want one. I think they are on special this month for $88.

I also thought they were ugly too - the photo doesnt do them justice. It looks better in the flesh.

Comment

"Whos the leader of the clan thats made for you and me, Mic-key-Mouse". :

Comment

Im sorry guys I have to ge tthis off my chest, although I do use my plunger ocassionaly everytime I see this topic I just have to say this, best use for a plunger
                              PEN JAR!

ook back to my corner....

Comment

Working...
                              X