Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veneziano, First Pour, Maling Room - whats what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veneziano, First Pour, Maling Room - whats what?

OK maybe Im thick, but these three names have been bouncing around various coffee fraternities such as CS for a while, and Ive given up trying to work out what they each are using contextual methods - they could be three names for the same establishment as far as I can determine :-[. The same fine people seem to be connected with each of them, they all sell coffee, one seems to have a DIY roastery attached, anothers a site sponsor and a third throws confusion to the mix by being in an old post office but ISNT spelt MAILING (I understand maling is the name of the street its on or something). :-/ :-/

Can someone enlightened share some of their luminescence with me and explain what each of these names represent (or any others for that matter)?

Thanks muchly!

Greg
    PS I know I could have gotten the answer via PM to Veneziano but there may be others similarly confused hence this thread.

Re: Veneziano, First Pour, Maling Room - whats wh

Luca is the best person to answer this question, but Ill give it a brief shot.

Veneziano is a roasting company.

First Pour is a retail friendly outlet for Veneziano. Luca works there. You can roast your own on an air roaster... I think.

Maling Room is owned by the former Maltitude Cafe owner Andy. Completely seperate entity to Veneziano.

Luca is, or was the link to both, ie he worked at both the Maling Room and First Pour, but Im not sure if this is the case currently.

I think all of the above is close to right...

Comment

Originally posted by Framey link=1178617753/0#1 date=1178621833
      Luca is the best person to answer this question, but Ill give it a brief shot.

Veneziano is a roasting company.

First Pour is a retail friendly outlet for Veneziano. Luca works there. You can roast your own on an air roaster... I think.

Maling Room is owned by the former Maltitude Cafe owner Andy. Completely seperate entity to Veneziano.

Luca is, or was the link to both, ie he worked at both the Maling Room and First Pour, but Im not sure if this is the case currently.

I think all of the above is close to right...
      Well done Framey...You get a gold star and an angel stamp

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhh! NOW I understand! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] That question has been bugging me for about 12 months, its one of those miniscule things which get irritating when perpetually unresolved!

This is the closest we can give you to a gold star with an angel stamp! [smiley=engel017.gif]

Thanks all, now it all makes sense! [smiley=dankk2.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Comment

Hahaha ... yes, Framey gets the gold star!

At the risk of boring you all, Ill add a bit more detail ...

Maling Room is on the corner of Canterbury Rd and Maling Rd, taking its name from the latter. Andrew uses a custom blend roasted by Atomica and often has a guest blend (ask him about it if youre there). The guest blends come from all over the place, sometimes including the odd competition blend from Veneziano. At the moment, Andrew has some of the coffee that Tony at Rio Coffee sent me. That will also be on tap at First Pour this Saturday for those who ask.

Veneziano Coffee is a roastery. As a consequence of business booming, Veneziano picked up the building next door to the original building. First Pour is the "retail showroom" in the new building, which is code for an opportunity to interact with the general public, rather than just cafe owners, without having a kitchen ;P First Pour brings together pretty much every aspect of coffee under one roof, so it has been a lot of fun.

Seeing as I abused the privilege of using Venezianos equipment so much anyway because it is just around the corner from my house, Peter Wolff gave me the job of running First Pour on Saturdays. I followed Andrew to Maling Room, but I recently decided that a full week of uni as well as a full weekend of work was a bit much, so Im not working there at the moment. The coming semesters might be a bit more generous to me, though, so well see what happens.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Working...
          X