Age epicure on Fairtrade. 9-12 cent per latte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age epicure on Fairtrade. 9-12 cent per latte

http://www.theage.com.au/news/epicure/the-ethical-bean/2007/05/14/1178995034095.html?page=2

Todays epicure quoted "A farmer would typically get 3 cents in a regular latte, now they get 9 cents to 12 cents in the latte," Mr Romeril says. "We dont think that sounds like much but youre tripling someones income and, more importantly, youre guaranteeing that income"

Now lets say you are getting 80 coffees per kg that would work out to be around 10 to 12.5 grams a shot.
    So the farmer is getting $7.20 to $9.60 a kg. Ok i havent accounted for 10-20 percent lost in weight after roasting.

However in the fairtrade agreement the farmers are promised $3.36 a kg. Someone has the figures wrong here.

Re: Age epicure on Fairtrade. 9-12 cent per latte

Whilst I applaud what Fair Trade is trying to do...a lot of it is bull crap - a lot of money taken up in advertising and administration. Sure there are farmers there who benefit a lot from Fair Trade and would otherwise have abandoned their farms if Fair Trade didnt come along and save them...however, there are much better alternatives out there. Things such as CoE will do a whole lot more for farmers than Fair Trade ever will.

What happens if there is no Fair Trade? The farmer becomes bankrupt and has to abandon his farm. Fair Trade does not encourage farmers to put a bit of the money back in to good processing practices which will ensure a better grade coffee, and thus push us the price of his/her coffee. This is where CoE excels. If a farmer even makes it at number 100, being a CoE coffee will ensure hell get much better prices than Fair Trade can ever give him. Then all he needs to do is work off this reputation and produce even better coffee through education - perhaps direct trade would be a good option if a roaster is willing to work with and help the farmer. I read of one CoE farmer who entered in his coffee, and the outcome of that years CoE would be make or break for him. Fair Trade would not have been able to do anything to save him and his family.

A lot of cafes market "Fair Trade", but in reality little Fair Trade beans can be found in the blend, if any at all if the cafe is really scrupulous feeding off the "Fair Trade" label. Fair Trade is a label, and the general public are generally misled about what Fair Trade is. I have customers who specifically ask for the Fair Trade blend....I wonder how many of these customers actually know the more to the story other than what the Fair Trade marketing machine has fed them.

In essence, what I am saying is that Fair Trade does not encourage farmers to produce better quality coffee, which ultimately will increase the price of his coffee. If Fair Trade dies, so does the farmer.

Comment

On a more trivial note, I wish the coffee in the glass they are using in their current campaign were a bit shorter - when I first caught a glance of it in the newspaper, I thought it was a glass of Guinness... :-?

http://www.oxfam.org.au/campaigns/mtf/coffee/images/be_strong.jpg

Comment

that epicure article on fair trade is just based on crap. Bullcrap figures!!! at the end of the day jaspers looks good and the rest looks crap. Still gotta get rid of those buckets

Comment

Originally posted by AndyL link=1179216726/0#3 date=1179227090
          that epicure article on fair trade is just based on crap. Bullcrap figures!!! at the end of the day jaspers looks good and the rest looks crap. Still gotta get rid of those buckets
          Agreed Andy- Fairtrade is fair for Fairtrade and very fair for retailers when they charge a heap more than is neccessary...Nobody has yet explained why up to $10/kg at retail for a product which is often decidedly average amounts to mere cents to growers and little if anything at all to their staff....

2mcm

Comment

My boss dropped that article on my desk today and I did similar math followed by a similar statement.

Ill recheck my figures and send a letter to Lisa Mitchell from the Age and Ben Romeril from Jasper.

The cause is good, the misquoted benefit to the farmers is bad because the public is still being fed a line.

Grrrrr.

Comment

Andy, I think that Im going to send a few emails, too. Heres what I posted on CG:

The FLO FLO sets the prices at $1.21USD/LB when the market price is below that and imposes a $0.05USD/LB premium when prices are higher. If you take a look at the ICO webpage and do some maths, youll see that fair trade means an increase of something in the order of 5% for some arabicas to 30% for some of the low quality robustas. Of course, there might be some additional subtleties in terms of what grading our coffee actually is in the New York coffee exchange, but, if anything, this means that arabicas used by decent roasters would command a higher price from the farmer, resulting in a lower price increase as a result of FLO certification.

So what I want to know is where the author, Lisa Mitchell, got her figures to claim a 168% price increase and where Ben Romeril of Jaspers got his figures from to claim that farmers end up with three times as much money in their pockets. Particularly when there was an SMH article not too long ago about two professors who suggested that certification costs led to a net loss for farmers.
              Like I said, Id also like to know what our importers are paying for some of their green. I have a suspicion that at least some of the really nice stuff already trades at quite good prices.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Are you talking fair trade greens or non FT greens that already fetch a nice price.

Comment

Unfortunately, Fair trade is a brand and the number 1 priority for them is to grow that brand. The idea behind the brand is great, but by locking farmers into a fixed sell price the incentive for them to produce better quality greens is lost, especially when they see specialty prices rise at a higher rate than they are given. Like most here have experienced, the quality is decidedly average.
                  Besides the political motivations of these types of articles they are also suggesting that non FT coffees follow unfair trading, in turn growing their brand, we can only guess that like most slapstick journalism they have only talked to people with vested interest in the subject.
                  I can also see why Jaspers would release that as they also tell people that if coffee is not certified organic it does contains harmful pesticides. In brief dealings with them I have found that they use scare tactics to talk themselves up rather than customer education.

Comment

Heh....you said what I wanted to say in a mere few lines...damn it. The marketing machine feeding consumers bs lies so they can grow their brand is well, bs!

There are lots of farms out there that are "organic", just not certified, does a farmer who is really struggling need to fork out around $3000 USD just to fly in some bunch of guys in to say yes your farm is organic? Of course he will receive a better price for his beans at market with the certification, but look at Ethiopia...a lot of it is still grown organic but still uncertified because they cant afford it.

Comment

Re: smh

At first I thought this was the same article, but in the smh- turns out its not...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/short-black-and-sides--how-to-judge-a-green-brew/2007/05/07/1178390228055.html

This is an excellent idea (for more than one reason  ): "If you are still worried about how your coffee drinking affects the environment, cut out instant coffee".

Comment

At least they went heavier on the fluff and did less extrapolation of the numbers.

(safer article)

Comment

Article points out the big players are really good because they sell fairtrade. If the big players were so nice get rid of that nescafe garbage and all the other evil brands. Im sick of customers making me the bad guy because my coffee isnt fairtrade. Crap facts like, i can go down the road and have fairtrade coffee and I will be donating 9cents out to needing farmers.
                          Scared tactics by Jaspers...... Well ive been to food shows and heard them sell their coffee. I heard a person say they used a local roaster. First thing they said was "IS IT FAIRTRADE???" Then the scared tactics came in.
                          I have no problem with drinking their coffee. One of my most favourite cafes sells Jaspers. Buts its soooooo annoying to hear comments like that. Every time a smart ass customer ask about fair trade to me, it really gets me going.
                          Maybe he was miss quoted and he was setting an example. But someone has to be responsible for crap like that .

Comment

Originally posted by AndyL link=1179216726/0#12 date=1179305136
                            Article points out the big players are really good because they sell fairtrade. If the big players were so nice get rid of that nescafe garbage and all the other evil brands. Im sick of customers making me the bad guy because my coffee isnt fairtrade. Crap facts like, i can go down the road and have fairtrade coffee and I will be donating 9cents out to needing farmers.
                            Scared tactics by Jaspers...... Well ive been to food shows and heard them sell their coffee. I heard a person say they used a local roaster. First thing they said was "IS IT FAIRTRADE???" Then the scared tactics came in.
                            I have no problem with drinking their coffee. One of my most favourite cafes sells Jaspers. Buts its soooooo annoying to hear comments like that. Every time a smart ass customer ask about fair trade to me, it really gets me going.
                            Maybe he was miss quoted and he was setting an example. But someone has to be responsible for crap like that .
                            Yep- you have to wonder....Yesterday I drove past and saw them unloading coffee (perhaps for the buckets) just packed in clear plastic cello like bags....No wonder that last shot I had was so fresh  :. Whats more interesting is that the stuff that they use in their machine- according to the staff member who served me that day was not fairtrade... So, you sell it up....but then use something else and then grab the free publicity anyway??  :-?

Comment

hey, cant say anything about their coffee, havent tried it. I am just also sick of people talking other people down instead of talking themselves up.

Just because a coffee is not certified organic, does it mean it is full of pesticides? NO! I buy some organic coffees, based purely on taste, but I am not a certified organic processor. I use no chemicals to clean or maintain any equipment. So my coffee is not certified organic, doesnt mean that it is pumped with chemicals.

So too, just because a coffee is not sold with the Fairtrade Brand, doesnt mean it was grown with the crack of a whip beating down on slaves backs. That they are locked up at night and forced to work or have their families killed. The media is pushing what they think will sell, the Sellers are backing their cause (selling more coffee, the consumers buy this crap everytime it is reinforced. Nobody is doing research. I even know of roasters who are selling FT, knowing all about it, just because their customers want it. How sad is that?

I sometimes wonder if Journalism is being taught in the Marketing and Political Studies classes. Their are very few real journalists out there who have got neutral views.

Comment

Working...
                              X