Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting our cafe in Melbourne (not CBD thank goodness) - Advice appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting our cafe in Melbourne (not CBD thank goodness) - Advice appreciated!

Hi guys,

Long time lurker/reader, first time really posting!

My colleagues and I have finally scraped together close to six figure capital to start up our cafe. We're aware this is on the lower side, so we have to keep to a tight budget any way we can. We have collectively ~6 years in coffee, and specialty is what we love and want to do for ourselves. Will start out primarily as takeaway coffee with kitchen-less food setup, with the possibility to expand into kitchen later (ie. allocation of water/gas/elec + floorspace).

Would heartily welcome any advice, especially on the more difficult stuff. (Roasters, bean choice, equip, branding we've got down, of course
    Some of the things we're looking at:

- water quality in Maribyrnong - esp in relation to extracting compounds & filtration type
    - any permits (we're aware of trade waste, facades, food safety) and how to approach them
    - how to identify and cost plumbing/electrical requirements
    - leasing vs purchase of hydra/strada-level machine - what's best for startup/initial cashflow. and how many providers are there for leasing in Melb?
    - self fitout: best places to source for cheap fitouts? (we will empty interior to a shell and work the tenancy)

- And of course, any pearls of wisdom you can only get from actually having done it!

Thanks, any comments appreciated!
    John

I can't help with your questions but wish you luck. Great place for a cafe

Comment

Sorry to say but you need to know the answers to these questions yourself before you go into business, and if you're planning on roasting yourselves I would focus on saving your capital to allow for unforeseen expenses and to cover the prospect of running at a financial loss for the first one to two years of trade, before parting with that extra cash

Comment

Thanks. We ask more to verify what we've worked on, and to see if there's anything we've missed. There's a lot of good knowledge out there. Don't worry, I don't think anyone would be as irresponsible as to not plan!

For us, roasting will be much further down the track

Comment

Working...
        X