Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do enthusiasts here generally drink double shots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do enthusiasts here generally drink double shots?

Because the single shot basket is tapered into a V shape and that's undesirable in terms of trying to get a perfect pull, does that mean enthusiasts here usually drink a double shot if they've got no one else to split it with?

I use a bottomless portafilter and gladly drink double shots because they are delicious......😃

Comment

Never use a single basket UNLESS I am absolutely down to my last handful of beans and can't fill a double.

Comment

Never used a single basket. In fact pretty much only ever used 21g ones which are probably technically triples.

Comment

Bought an EP Precision Triple basket from Chris at Talk Coffee more than twelve months ago, and love it...

Not going back to a Double any time soon and never touching a single again...

Mal.

Comment

Your a demon Mal

I use an 18 gram EP, as others have said, single baskets are pretty well a no go area, most singles find their way into the bits and pieces drawer and never see the light of day again.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              most singles find their way into the bits and pieces drawer and never see the light of day again.
              Yep, that's where mine are...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                Yep, that's where mine are...

Mal.
                Ditto 10 char

Comment

+1 .

Comment

I like my 17g LM slightly overdosed to 18.5g
                    Getting ~2.5oz including crema = ~45g espresso and love it .
                    Experimented with other baskets including VST 20g but always came back to LM

Comment

Oh oh, on the brink of a basket war, first shots fired.

Comment

I knew someone will say it
                        No, it’s about basket volume, not manufacturer.
                        I just prefer double from 18g, not from 22g.
                        And don’t care what brand of basket used as far as it good quality.
                        Unfortunately can't tell difference in taste between LM, VST or something else

Comment

I like my quad baskets (28g), cutting the shot just as it starts to show signs of blonding. Typically around 60ml.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_4744.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	741341Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_4743.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	741342

7g Single, 18g Double, 28g Quad

Java "Yums!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Considering you were the second CSr to push EP "precision baskets" (oxymoron) in post 6 (Dimal beat you by one post), you then started a basket war with this, your post 11.

Having said that, one of the many advantages of a 7g single VST precision basket (BTW, that is real precision: just use a strong magnifying glass or microscope) is that it is possible to tamp it easily. Unlike Java "untampable single basket" phile's photo above.

Rather than take yet another photo, here is things coffee's (site sponsor) lo-rez snap of the VST from Things Coffee | Pullman Tamper, Coffee Tamper, VST Filter Basket, VST Refractometer, Hottop, Coffee Roaster, KN-8828B-2. Note the "shelf" on the VST means that the small central area may be tamped easily. It is followed by my 316 stainless tamper made to suit: note matching taper. Although for over a year I got by with a Smartwater "guava & lime" bottle / tamper with enough water to balance the weight nicely, so doing a one-off is more of a user friendliness issue. It is even possible to obtain a showerscreen with holes spread over a smaller diameter so the flow matches the main "action area" of the 7g basket (photo on request - I hate cluttering a good site with such obvious things).

Click image for larger version

Name:	TamperPreSingle.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	741343

TampIt
                            PS: throwing the first stone is usually a dumb idea...

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
                              ... Although for over a year I got by with a Smartwater "guava & lime" bottle / tamper ....
                              I have had the pleasure of drinking Tampit's coffee tamped with nothing but juice bottles and it was annoyingly good so it certainly works.

Comment

Working...
                              X