Desperately seeking coffee fiends....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately seeking coffee fiends....

Hello there all,  and before we get started, Im a CoffeeSnobs virgin so please be gentle with me.

Im currently in the process of negotiating to buy a run-down shop in my local tourist town. (120,000 visitors a year and counting)

The plan - based on quite a lot of market research- is to re-brand and open a deli/food store/coffee house. My issue for all those coffee afficianados out there is this - all the market research points to our domestic and international tourists to our district stating, "You cannot get good coffee anywhere." By this they mean coffee to consume on the spot and coffee to take home.

Im just about to embark on the arduous task of investigating suppliers, blends, machines, and so on. (There is a veeeeery old espresso machine there that I think could be genuinely classified as an archeological ruin and they currently use a blend that tastes like wood chips)

So heres the rub - where the hell do I start to get a great coffee house going? (This seems like a start though doesnt it?) What about the smells, sounds, experience, etc of a good coffee house-come-deli? Id be grateful for any advice, information or details you could pass on and I apologise ahead of time if this topic has been done before.

Yours in grovelling gratitude
    Madam Macchiato

Re: Desperately seeking coffee fiends....

;D ;D
    oh, dear... i think the floodgates have just opened.... asking CSs for advice about the smells, sounds and flavours of a good coffee shop....far from me to be the expert, but: letr rip, fellow CoffeeSnobs!!

Shaggy, i think you re in for a treat...  

and the best of luck with your venture!!

L

Comment

Freshly roasted coffee, trained baristas who are passionate and meticulous...

Id be getting in contact with Talk Coffee... look to the left of the page

Out of curiosity, what area of the country are you in? <crossing fingers>

Comment

Hi MM,

When starting up a cafe, a good coffee roaster will quickly become your best friend. Your supplier will be able to answer all of your questions about equipment, training, etc. However, its always a good idea to find out what different roasteries can do for you and to taste their wares so that you can make an informed decision.

Another good starting point would be to talk to some cafe owners who have run successful cafes serving coffee up to your standards.

As Michelle mentioned, Chris from Talk Coffee would be a great person to get you going if you really do feel overwhelmed. Chris has run a few successful cafes and trained many baristi. His business has nothing to do with supplying cafes with coffee, equipment or anything else, so he will be a great source of impartial advice.

If you want to do something to help yourself right now, you might want to tell us if you are near any capital cities so that we can suggest some places to check out and people to contact.

We are a smallish roastery in Abbotsford, Victoria. If you are ever in Melbourne, feel free to drop by and visit me at First Pour, Saturday from 9 to 1 or indeed to send me a PM and I will organise for someone to talk to you during the week.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Personally, what is most important to me is price. I grew up in a tourist town and every school holidays /tourist influx the local cafes/restaurants would put up their prices to the disgust and annoyance of the locals. Many of these cafes went under in a couple years as the locals stopped going there in the off times.

The most successful cafe kept their prices down and of course stayed in business. Your core business in such a small town will be the local residents - you absolutely must keep them sweet. They will be the people who will recommend your establishment to the tourists when asked.

Use as much fantastic local produce as you can, this will keep your transport costs down and will also show the community that you are willing to support them - it is a two way street.

If you have not already seen it, and the series is almost finished, watch Jaimes chef on channel ten. You can get a lot of ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X