Home coffee station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home coffee station

Looking to get my machine and grinder off my kitchen bench and onto a small station. I'm thinking of something that has a few draws to put equipment in and some cupboards underneath to store cup ls and beans etc. I'd love to have a knock box cut into the top that drops into a bin.

Anyone got a link to a design or any ideas? Iv spotted one on YouTube a while back, but can't find it now. FYI I have a tank machine and plumbing in etc isn't something on the cards for any conceivable future.

Cheers

chris

This works for me. Is an old fish tank stand. I put a layer of insertion rubber on bench top. Super easy to clean. Is 1200 long 600 deep. I store my coffee beans underneath. Small area for some cups. Would be great if it had a drawer for all my cups but i just store a few on here instead.
    Attached Files

Comment

I can't help but keep eyeing off some of the IKEA kitchen units with wheels. All solid wood. All an extra cost the wife wouldn't agree to... So I've taken over the bench and a cupboard instead :P but I reckon with a bit of tweaking they'd make perfect coffee stations.

Comment

I bought an Alex leva a couple of weeks ago, but before I got it, I worked out that we didn't have the 80cm clearance on any of our benches. Cue new kitchen:
        our house is in a very impractical state at the moment. Eg grinder in the bathroom, fridge near the back door, coffee machine in the lounge.. Cooking food is almost as bad.
        still, the plumbing's done, the ikea kitchen is sitting assembled all over the house, and our dodgy plaster has been replaced.
        We have to get a new floor too, as the tiles we removed had asbestos under them.

And Alex? Why, He's just sitting in the corner, quietly... patiently. Gleaming but covered.

thank you for listening.

when we're finished, I will have 1200 x 600 bench space as per Chris j. (Thanks for showing, 'cause it gives me a better idea of how mine will fit.) I spent ages measuring how much space I needed for grinding (hg one, so I need elbow room) and guessing how much space i need either side of Alex. also imagining the work space. Im pretty sure 120cms is enough. Well, it'll have to be! Draws underneath, and open shelving above for kettle and Trinity One that arrives in about March. At least this much is worked out.

The built in knock box sounds like a really good idea.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by shortblackman; 31 January 2016, 11:17 PM. Reason: Photo

Comment

+1 for the open timber (island?) benches with wheels. They're great. Good size for coffee stuff.

Comment

The timber island benches from Ikea are quite nice, i've got two of them in the kitchen, one setup as a coffee station. The only thing to be aware of is that the timber top isn't sealed, so it will require regular oiling to prevent staining from any water spillages. Failing that you could give it a couple of coats of varnish to seal it permanently.

Comment

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-b...her-trolley-1/

thoughts? Stainless top, could cut a knock box hole in there to drop into the draw. Sizing is perfect.

Comment

My immediate thoughts are that it might rattle a bit with your pump running (glass cupboard on hinges tend to do that), and metal tends to reverberate rather than absorb vibration - so knocking your puck out in it will be a noisy experience. A wooden top and/or frame would be more likely to absorb that step.

But that's after spending 5 seconds looking at it on the web.

Comment

Yeah I considered that, but I think I can modify it if required to limit the noise as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                    I can't help but keep eyeing off some of the IKEA kitchen units with wheels. All solid wood. All an extra cost the wife wouldn't agree to... So I've taken over the bench and a cupboard instead :P but I reckon with a bit of tweaking they'd make perfect coffee stations.
                    +1 for timber kitchen island on wheel. Here is my new set up + flojet and water tank

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454366927.179110.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	741604Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454366953.923232.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	741605

Comment

That's a really smart looking setup. Wish I had the space for an island like that.

Comment

Very nice Bazooka. And Hi from a fellow Newy CS!

Comment

Thanks Snedden9485, I just moved north to Indonesia and will always have a soft spot for Newy ... That's my new set up, it was quite a challenging logistic but I am glad by coffee gears arrived in one piece

Comment

Originally posted by snedden9485 View Post
                            Yeah I considered that, but I think I can modify it if required to limit the noise as much as possible.
                            If you think you've got that sorted, then it'd be a great option! Easy to wipe down, won't stain, will fit a modern kitchen style.

Would need to check the height of it though, just in case your ergonomics go out the window once a machine is up on it. Works for my height and my machine (our bench is 88cm) but can't speak for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                              If you think you've got that sorted, then it'd be a great option! Easy to wipe down, won't stain, will fit a modern kitchen style.

Would need to check the height of it though, just in case your ergonomics go out the window once a machine is up on it. Works for my height and my machine (our bench is 88cm) but can't speak for everyone.
                              yeah should suit me well as I'm 183cm and it's a similar height to my current bench where my machine is.

Comment

Working...
                              X