Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAFE Coffee course

Hi all,
    I am a kiwi taking a year out in Rockhampton to run the Intensive Care Unit. “Rockvegas” is a cultural desert as I have found.
    I am new to coffee snobs
    The TAFE advertised a “coffee making” course. Four nights, 3 hours each for $90!!
    Expnesive but nothing else here so I thought Id go along
    I went last night and after 45 minutes I had learned where the milk is kept and how to wash glasses. They were going to show a video on coffee making and then the rest of the 12 hour course was on Health and Safety, plate carrying, couretsy etc.
    False advertising ++
    I left $90 poorer
    I thought over night why don’t you experts (Chris, Mal etc) make a DVD on coffee making and sell it. I would buy it as I am sure others would.
    It would help people who don’t live in a big centre and may make you rich and famous!
    Dave

Re: TAFE Coffee course

Originally posted by Dr Dave link=1180071436/0#0 date=1180071436
    Hi all,
    I am a kiwi taking a year out in Rockhampton to run the Intensive Care Unit. “Rockvegas” is a cultural desert as I have found.
    I am new to coffee snobs
    The TAFE advertised a “coffee making” course. Four nights, 3 hours each for $90!!
    Expnesive but nothing else here so I thought Id go along
    I went last night and after 45 minutes I had learned where the milk is kept and how to wash glasses. They were going to show a video on coffee making and then the rest of the 12 hour course was on Health and Safety, plate carrying, couretsy etc.
    False advertising ++
    I left $90 poorer
    I thought over night why don’t you experts (Chris, Mal etc) make a DVD on coffee making and sell it.  I would buy it as I am sure others would.
    It would help people who don’t live in a big centre and may make you rich and famous!
    Dave
    Hi dave- Pioneer do a great one as to William Angliss Coffee Academy (Coffee parts sell the Academy one...)

regards

Chris

Comment

Hi Dave, my company has a DVD which will help get you started on the right track.
      See here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933441

Comment

I can highly recommend the Pioneer Roastery DVD - I won it in the 2000th member competition earlier in the year, and its great.

Comment

I would kick up a stink and ask for a refund $90 to wash glasses??? Disgusting.

Comment

Are you sure you didnt get a cert 1 in food and beverage?

I asked a f&b student at TAFE for a short black once. Nice shiny Veneziano A1, I shouldnt have had any expectations. Boy they fd it up badly. Machine was choked, and they just continued to let it extract until the cup was full. Apparently they werent allowed to adjust anything. I feel sorry for their future customers.

Comment

If they arent allowed to adjust anything that probably means the teachers dont know how to readjust anything.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
                I have requested a refund, however they say it will take some months and ordered a DVD from Pioneer.
                The "teacher" was a funny little man who was just like Manuel from Fawlty Towers so no surprise the coffee is rubbish.
                I didnt hang around to receive a diploma in food safety

Comment

I hope you get your money back dave, its a real shame that TAFE is still wasting peoples time with this rubbish... although there are some TAFE campuses making a change for the better.

To be honest most courses i have seen are pretty ordinary... If your serious about it, save up for a decent machine and grinder (dosent have to be too expensive), get a FEW DIFFERENT DVDs and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Comment

Actually Ive done a coffee course in TAFE North Ryde in Sydney. 3 years ago?
                    Theyre called Sydney Coffee Academy.
                    My course was 1 day 9-5. Taught me stuff from coffee history to water pressure and temperature, to adjusting grinds, to timing your shots to frothing, to cleaning your espresso mahcine properly. It was $100 ish (cant remember exact price) and I learnt alot as a total espresso making newbie, and had 6 coffees? while I was learning. The only drawback was that they used Vittoria... but I have to say when done nicely its ok.
                    Oh and the teacher that taught me is a roaster, she used to be a barista judge.
                    So not all TAFES are bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X