PID temp for Beanbay Peru Ceja de Selva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID temp for Beanbay Peru Ceja de Selva

Just received a batch of roasted Peru Ceja de Selva from Beanbay (thanks Andy - they smell awesome). As the title suggests, just curious what a good brew temp would be for me to plug into my PID (on a Silvia).

Will tweak it to taste as I go, but just wanted to get thoughts on what a good starter temp might be. I don't play with the PID as much as I should, so I'm trying to make a bit more of an effort to understand how the beans respond to temp during the pour.

I drink doubles pulled through a triple basket, if that makes any difference. (And apologies if I've put this in the wrong forum - thought it would be best here.)

Try 90, 92 and then 94 degrees and see which works best for you

Comment

Agree: 92° is a good starting point for most roasts.

Comment

Thanks. Tried 92 this am, very nice.

Do people generally change temps as beans age? Or is it more about finding one optimal temp that works for a roast profile, regardless of age?

Comment

Wow! If we only knew. There's a method involving where you taste espresso, meaning what you're tasting and where on your tongue; palate. Adjusting the temperature of the brewing water can change where you're tasting a particular blend in your mouth: dark back palate may mean excessive heat; too bright, zingy, grassy may mean too cool. Best thing is to experiment with the PID and find a roast you like. The date of the roast will effect the taste greatly as well.

Comment

One thing to remember with PID controlled brew water temperature - When changing the Setpoint, allow about 15 minutes between changes to allow everything to settle down again before pulling a shot. It's always best to start at a lower temperature and work your way up, rather than the other way around as the system will be more responsive in this mode...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
            X