Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malbourne tap water quality and taste and the espresso coffee quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malbourne tap water quality and taste and the espresso coffee quality?

Hi
    I live in Melbourne and have Rancilio Silvia espresso coffee machine.
    What is the general consensus on tap water quality in Melbourne to make pure espresso (no milk, no sugar) ??
    should I use a Brita-filtered water to feed my coffee machine or tap water will be as good?

thanks

I used a testing kit looking at water "softness". (It came with my machine when I bought it) Melbourne tap water came up a treat. Right down the soft end of the spectrum used on the test strip.

Comment

Originally posted by acid_rider View Post
      Hi
      I live in Melbourne and have Rancilio Silvia espresso coffee machine.
      What is the general consensus on tap water quality in Melbourne to make pure espresso (no milk, no sugar) ??
      should I use a Brita-filtered water to feed my coffee machine or tap water will be as good?

thanks
      Chris at Talk Coffee has a great resource on water filtration.
      Filtration | Talk Coffee
      Last edited by moreCoffee; 9 April 2016, 11:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

thanks to everyone,
        I will try my home Brita filter (from supermarket) given Melbourne tap water is already soft enough for espresso machines.
        Mostly i just need to remove things from water that affect the taste of pure espresso such a chlorine, fluoride, etc.....
        When my boiler on Silvia blew up after 5 years of service in Feb 2015, the technician looked inside the boiler and there was virtually no scale in it, the boiler was clean, that is after 5 years of Melbourne tap water use. This confirms that it is probably soft enough enough already.

Comment

Working...
        X