coffee in the nude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee in the nude

Got a bottomless portafilter yesterday, and this is my first extraction with it.
    to be honest, i was expecting it to be a lot worse!

Be gentle, it was my first time.

Mmmmmm tasty Looks good to me!
    FWIW - I've always focused on the flavour, rather than the "one hole is not flowing the same as all the others - down the sink it goes!" obsession with a naked pour. Naked's do add some clarity and sparkle to the flavour IMHO - but loose a little body.
    But they are fun to watch too

So have fun!
    Cheers Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt.
      I agree - taste is my primary concern when making coffee, and trying different things this morning equated in me having 4 doubles before 8am.
      All in the name of science, of course!
      Despite not all holes firing at once, the coffee was consistently acceptalble.

Comment

I'd call the extraction in the video a good start. The biggest problem looks to be distribution, but your tamp could need a bit of work too. In saying that, like you, I had a really enjoyable espresso on the weekend that was the product of a very poor naked PF extraction. So it's not an infallible indicator. If you're happy with the taste so far just use the naked PF as a training tool to improve your grind/dose/tamp technique. Then see if you can taste the difference as you get better.

Comment

Originally posted by allitnils View Post
          Thanks Matt.
          I agree - taste is my primary concern when making coffee, and trying different things this morning equated in me having 4 doubles before 8am.
          All in the name of science, of course!
          Despite not all holes firing at once, the coffee was consistently acceptalble.
          Some people get it, some don't, looks like one of them that does, nice looking shot.

Comment

4:30 in the afternoon as I watch your video in my office... and I'm licking the screen and salivating like a Pavlov's Dog.

'Nuff said

Nice shot!

Comment

So never using a bottomless PF, is there really a noticeable difference in taste from a normal PF? If there is a difference is that only with espressos

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
                So never using a bottomless PF, is there really a noticeable difference in taste from a normal PF? If there is a difference is that only with espressos
                I've never thought that there was any real difference in taste. However if I think about recent espressos and ristrettos I've had the really nice ones have all come from the naked PF when I've managed to get a really good extraction. It's far from scientific evidence, merely my experience, but considering I've never been biased towards them for anything other than perfecting technique and watching a pretty extraction then there could be something in it. It will be different for every situation though depending on the user, machine(s), coffee and other variables so take that into consideration.

Comment

As I remarked in the thread on ECM/pre-infusion, if you expect it and want it to taste better then it will, personally I've noticed little difference.

Good talking point at parties/get together's and novelty value, some use it as a diagnostic tool.

Comment

We have been experimenting with very long preinfusions of 20 sec (or more) with Slayer, GS3, R60V, Vesuvius and modded Linea Mini.

When dosing low and fine, there is definitely something in the cup. The fun of experimentation is that you get to play, taste and choose.

Comment

I think the debate of naked vs. .. Clothed (?) extractions will always be, for the most part, anecdotal.
                      In my opinion, it will depend on what you're comparing.
                      A shot pulled from a naked portafilter will taste, to my untrained palate (and I imagine to the majority of home users) exactly the same as the exact same shot pulled from a not naked portafilter.
                      the change in taste therefore is not on the tool you use, but on what minor alterations you make as shown by the naked pf, for it to work in your advantage.
                      Yes: the taste will be the same. And if you are pulling absolutely perfect shot after perfect shot, a naked portafilter will be purely a cosmetic addition.
                      however, in my case it revealed that my shots are channeling. Addressing these issues MIGHT make a difference in taste. Not the filter itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        We have been experimenting with very long preinfusions of 20 sec (or more) with Slayer, GS3, R60V, Vesuvius and modded Linea Mini.

When dosing low and fine, there is definitely something in the cup. The fun of experimentation is that you get to play, taste and choose.

What sort of overall extraction time do you aim for Chris, and do you include the pre-infusion time in the overall count?

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
                          I can't think of any reason why it should. If everything else is exactly the same the only difference is that the coffee is going directly into the cup from the basket, not being funneled through a spout or spouts. Unless of course you use e P/F and spout that is so dirty it affects the flavour. I sometimes think that there is a bit more crema with the naked, probably because some of it dissipates as it flows through a spout. However it all ends up in the cup, where it soon settles to much the same level anyway.

I agree with Yelta on this one - it's a handy tool for improving your grind/dose/tamp skills, and will lead to better shots, but if you really really want to believe it tastes different just because it came from a naked P/F, then it probably will.

I know a fellow who reckons that the beer always tastes better at a particular pub. That pub just happens to have topless barmaids, but he says that has nothing to do with it.

Comment

No- it does. Coffee oxidises and pulls at a different temp against the metal of the conventional p/f when compared to a naked- more exposure to oxygen.

Also- many use a triple with a naked- with the resultant influence on body...

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                              No- it does. Coffee oxidises and pulls at a different temp against the metal of the conventional p/f when compared to a naked- more exposure to oxygen.

Also- many use a triple with a naked- with the resultant influence on body...
                              Wait, what?
                              The level of oxygen wouldn't change between a conventional and a naked portafilter.
                              Perhaps the level of water vapor due to the heat retained by the conventional portafilter vs naked might influence the extraction, and thus taste?
                              As a humble home user, my sample size of 2 coffees in the morning does no give me sufficient data to determine, considering how many variables i change from one coffee to the next.

Comment

Working...
                              X