Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much coffee to put into single basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much coffee to put into single basket?

I havent quite figured out how much coffee I should be putting into the single basket. Im currently using the Gaggia Carezza machine and some people tell me I should only put 8 grams, some say put enough to leave a 8-10mm gap from the top, others say Ive got to fill it up and use my fingers to push off excess coffee, and then theres the "it your personal preference"... The instruction manual doesn;t specify how much i should put.

Re: How much coffee to put into single basket?

usually about 7 grams I think, but I always use the double doofythingy cos one is never enough!

Steve "I can taste again" Sullos

Comment

It varies. When I started I filled my basket and pushed off the excess. But this was just to get some starting point. Now a days, to prevent wastage because I have no doser, I will fill the basket almost to the top, knock it against the bench, and go almost to the top again, knock, tamp etc ...

So, you need to play around ...

Comment

Hey mate, Ive also got a carezza (nifty little machine isnt it ), and I always use the double basket. Youve got to fill the basket to a level such that when you take the portafilter out after the shot, the puck will have the mark of the screw in the centre of the showerscreen. I find the best level is about 2mm from the top of the basket after the tamping. I weighed the net coffee for a standard puck on precision scales the other day and it was 25 grams. To get this amount, you have to knock the portafilter with loose grounds and dose some more to fit it all in, or do a two-step tamp, that is, dose, tamp, dose, tamp.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Richie, most helpful. When I read 7-8 grams, I thought, "thats way too little".
          The Carezzas my first machine so i dont have anything to compare it with and still trying to work out the best way to use the thing. Most times I get a good froth going and the steam comes out really powerfully but occassionally, I find it runs out of steam before i hit the 65 degree mark. Has it got something to do with the boiler being empty? Whats the best way to prep the Carezza to steam the milk sufficiently after a shot without running out of steam halfway?

Comment

The best advice I got given was to forget about the single and just use the double.. my single basket now holds my tamper!

Comment

Is the single basket too small or the coffee isnt strong enough for the single basket?

Comment

Ive just started to try the single out again after avoiding it for 2 years.

With my former machine (Silvia) the supplied single was useless.

Current machine (Expobar) it actually seems to work pretty well so far.

Still getting used to dosing. at this stage Im dosing by volume.
                IE: Fill it up.

Probably uses more than 7g, but looks right, tastes right and knocks out of the basket well.

Comment

Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1180913626/0#0 date=1180913625
                  I havent quite figured out how much coffee I should be putting into the single basket. Im currently using the Gaggia Carezza machine and some people tell me I should only put 8 grams, some say put enough to leave a 8-10mm gap from the top, others say Ive got to fill it up and use my fingers to push off excess coffee, and then theres the "it your personal preference"... The instruction manual doesn;t specify how much i should put.
                  Fill the PF full, then tamp hard then fit onto your espresso machine. If you cant see the shower screen imprint, then there is not enough coffee in it.

Add more coffee, tamp, refit and check for shower screen indentation in the puck. If you see that its there, then the PF is correctly filled. It really depends from machine to machine. The standard weight is 7 grams for a single, but on some machines like the Sunbeam EM6910, this will not be enough, as the tamped puck of 7 grams will be below the shower screen, resulting in very soggy pucks at the end of the pull.

Comment

Hey mate. Ive tried many times to get microfoamed milk with the carezza but i dont think its got the power to do it. The only way to get decent milk is with the turbofrother, which produces a decent result. It aint a good machine for milk, but its great value if u just want espresso.

Comment

Whats a turbofrother?

Comment

Originally posted by Bon link=1180913626/0#5 date=1180917679
                        The best advice I got given was to forget about the single and just use the double.. my single basket now holds my tamper!
                        If youre hardcore about espresso, Id start using that single basket again! Yeahhh...thats a challenge. I dare ya!

Comment

Its a little plastic attachment that fits onto your steam wand so that cheap machines can froth milk.

Comment

I second what wushoes said. The single basket always seems much harder to get right compared to the double.
                            You really need to get the distribution and tamp perfect or it gushes.

Re: the steam on the Carezza, this used to happen to my one too. When steaming, Id sometimes have to keep
                            flicking the brew (water) switch to draw more water in or itd just sit there with no more steam power.
                            You should also start steaming before the "steam ready" indicator signals that it is ready for steaming, so itll
                            keep trying to make more steam as youre frothing.

Re: how much coffee to put in single basket, on my Classic (fairly similar group head to Carezza), to get the
                            coffee to just touch the shower screen when locked in:
                            double: keep tapping the basket and fill, then level off til slightly convex, tamp
                            single: keep tapping the basket and fill, then level off so its slightly concave, tamp.
                            Also if you have the deep Gaggia single basket, maybe ud need a
                            little more coffee than what I suggested (Im using regular sized Gaggia single basket, but my Carezza
                            came with the deep basket).
                            Then it also usually varies with different beans! :-/

Good luck!

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by tempestv8 link=1180913626/0#8 date=1180921443

Fill the PF full, then tamp hard then fit onto your espresso machine. If you cant see the shower screen imprint, then there is not enough coffee in it.

Add more coffee, tamp, refit and check for shower screen indentation in the puck. If you see that its there, then the PF is correctly filled. It really depends from machine to machine. The standard weight is 7 grams for a single, but on some machines like the Sunbeam EM6910, this will not be enough, as the tamped puck of 7 grams will be below the shower screen, resulting in very soggy pucks at the end of the pull.

This is almost right. When the coffee is brewed, it absorbs some of the water and expands. This expansion is usually around 3mm. The best dosage to use depends on your machine and the way it is set up. After you dose, distribute, and tamp, place the PF into the machine and remove it WITHOUT brewing. If there is an imprint from the screen or screw in your coffee, you have dosed to high and have not allowed room for the puck to expand. If there is no imprint on the puck, replace the PF back into the machine and brew your shot as normal.

Once the extraction is complete, remove the PF and check the puck. It should be firm, show an imprint of the screen on the top. It should look wet and be soft enough to take an imprint of your finger but firm enough to hold it. While the puck must look wet, if you can see water sitting on top of the puck, you have not dosed high enough. If the puck looks dry and shows irregularities in colour, and is very firm, you may have dosed too high.

The last test is turn over your PF and knock the puck out onto the bench. The puck should feel slightly spongy, but have come out of the PF in one piece without leaving anything behind in the basket.

Comment

Working...
                              X