Brew temp measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brew temp measurement

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive way to rent/buy a device to accurately measure brew water temp in the portafilter? A digital display would be fine and logging the temps to a laptop would be better.

That's easy to answer.

HeatSnob!
    CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Other Stuff - HeatSnob Temperature Data Logger

...with a bead probe...
    CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Other Stuff - Spare Thermocouple Bead

You can set the temperature scale and time to suit, see it live and save/log it too.

Comment

Thanks Andy! Fyi the links were off but I get what you mean. Would probably drill a filter basket and feed the probe in from underneath.

Comment

You can get a digital thermometer that goes into an e61 group where the little nut is on the front. Temperature should be pretty close to portafilter temp +-a couple of degrees. Easy non destructive way to get an accurate temp and still be able to pull shots.

Comment

Thanks, but combined cost of the digital thermometer and the engineering involved in getting an e61 group installed on my breville dual boiler would be cost prohibitive....😨

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
            Thanks, but combined cost of the digital thermometer and the engineering involved in getting an e61 group installed on my breville dual boiler would be cost prohibitive....[emoji32]
            Agreed!!

What Andy said then!!!

Comment

(Hmmm.. the links work here okay!?!?)

If you notched the top of the group handle you could still get a basket on flush... and yeah, then come up under the basket.

Would be interesting to see the results.

Comment

Funniest thing. Those links go to different threads when viewed from Tapatalk vs a browser. Viewed in a browser it comes up correct. Not worth spending any time on - probably just a tapatalk bug.

Comment

Well...

Given that this procedure isn't required to be done every day, why not just feed a "Bead Thermocouple" on to the top of a coffee puck just before you lock the Group Handle in place. Connect the other end to your Heatsnob or Datalogger DMM and Bob's your uncle. Record the results using the method described by Andy above for future reference...
                  No need to modify or butcher a Group Handle, unless you're an Espresso Tech. who like to tinker and DIY...

Mal.

Comment

Hey mate, where did you get the strip?

Comment

+1 would also like a source. Assuming they can be removed without leaving residue.

Comment

I bought mine from orphan espresso

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                          why not just feed a "Bead Thermocouple" on to the top of a coffee puck just before you lock the Group Handle in place.
                          Do you mean squash the thermocouple cable between the machine's gasket and the basket/portafilter?
                          I think the idea is to log the temp and any variation during a brew/pour with the water under pressure.

Comment

Bead thermocouple or Scace device is the go. Need to be mindful that a temp strip on the outside of the group measures the outside of the group...

Comment

Originally posted by toorakwa View Post
                              Do you mean squash the thermocouple cable between the machine's gasket and the basket/portafilter?
                              I think the idea is to log the temp and any variation during a brew/pour with the water under pressure.
                              Indeed I do...

Been doing it this way for many years. Might have to cinch the Group Handle up a little more, but not much. Even easier with the Silicone Gasket I bought from Andy - More give in it...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X