Supermarket beans, THE HORROR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket beans, THE HORROR.

Away from home visiting a friend in the Riverina over the past 10 days, took the LaPavoni, however, underestimated my coffee consumption and was forced to go searching for a source of roasted beans about 2/3rds of the way through our visit, could locate nothing within striking distance of our base, soooooo, visited the local supermarker and bought 1 kg of Vittoria espresso beans in the gold packaging, use by date indicated, best before some time in 2017, paid something like $35 for the kg.

Have not used supermarket beans in well over 10 years, regardless was not prepared for what I was about to experience.

The beans looked to be well roasted, nice and even, approx CS 8, even smelled a bit like coffee, that's where the wheels fell off, ground the first 16 grams for the LaPavoni at the same setting I was using for the home roasted batch I was using prior to running out, lifted the lever on the Pav and the water flowed through the puck almost unrestricted, adjust the grind down, another 16 grams, similar result, I might add the resultant coffee flowed in a foul watery looking jet black stream and tasted foul, even though the beans looked well roasted the coffee tasted as if the beans had been on the verge of incineration when the roast was stopped.

No matter what I tried could not get anything like a decent shot on the Pav.

So, back home.

Not to be beaten, have been trying for two days to pull a decent shot using the same beans in the Bezzera, hah! same result, thin watery black bitter tasting crap with a bit of crema floating on the top.

So, for them about to ask the question, nope, you cant pull anything even close to a decent shot using Vittoria espresso beans, even though your using decent machinery, your technique is good and the beans are well within the best before date, at least I cant with the batch I bought, perhaps I was just unlucky.

Supermarket beans, THE HORROR.

I've had the same results in the rare "emergency" where I've had to run with supermarket beans.

Basically you get a cardboardy taste, minimal crema and the water seems to flow straight through the grounds at a rate of knots.

I actually reckon you can get a better result from Nespresso

Comment

otherwise known as overpriced compost....

Comment

I've used the Aldi beans once or twice when desperate. Not too bad for $11/kg and at least have a roast date on them and taste 'reasonable'.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          otherwise known as overpriced compost....
          Funny you should mention that. I've been using my spent grounds on the garden for years based on the commonly held belief that coffee grounds are good for plants...

Turns out this was wrong. Someone actually did a comprehensive experiment and discovered that coffee actually regards plant growth!

http://www.sgaonline.org.au/using-co...in-the-garden/

That leaves only one thing that supermarket beans are good for - breaking in a new grinder!

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            ...and the water flowed through the puck almost unrestricted, adjust the grind down, another 16 grams, similar result, I might add the resultant coffee flowed in a foul watery looking jet black stream and tasted foul...
            I was reading your post expecting this - same experience with Vittoria I bought to season some burrs. But couldn't resist trying some shots.

Even called up Vittoria and asked them how was the use by date arrived at. They said roast date + 1 year. My beans were therefore 2 months old.

I'm thinking it's impossible to use that stuff without a pressurised basket.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
              I've been using my spent grounds on the garden for years based on the commonly held belief that coffee grounds are good for plants...
              And you're safe to continue doing so.

Either compost them or mix with compost- as per the article...

Comment

Have you considered that perhaps your grinder isn't capable of grinding stale beans

Comment

Quite a few people I recommended them to years ago have been happy with ALDI Melb roast beans. I have noticed big drops in flavour at times and I have generally only used them to dial in a new grinder over the last 2 years. I noticed approx. 6 months ago that there is no longer a date on the 1 kg bags, not that I can see anyway.
                  My choice of coffee is that supplied by Andy, roasted in the Behmor. My preference, Sumatran. Cheers, Ron

Comment

Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
                    Have you considered that perhaps your grinder isn't capable of grinding stale beans
                    I had a laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      And you're safe to continue doing so.

Either compost them or mix with compost- as per the article...
                      I stick them in the worm farm these days.

Comment

Does the coffee behave this way because it's been roasted in some sort of commercial continuous roaster rather than a batch roaster? I know you can get some pretty damn big batch roasters but they probably don't go big enough for Vittoria's scale of operation. Do any of the pros amongst know?

Comment

Originally posted by magnafunk View Post
                          Perhaps so, maybe someone can suggest a grinder that will do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
                            I stick them in the worm farm these days.
                            According to the comments on that article, feeding coffee to worms slows down the rate they eat vegetables.

Comment

Oh dear! the problem compounds, I don"t have a worm farm, come to think of it, wonder how many people do.

Comment

Working...
                              X