What a difference fresh beans makes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference fresh beans makes!

Finally got through a 3 month old batch and back onto some good stuff I roasted a week ago.

Breville smart grinder pro setting has gone from #1 which was still producing a 15 second gusher to #10 which gave me 45 seconds of golden honey. Grind is obviously still too fine but.......I'm back baby!

Edit: Lesson for the day, only roast what you can consume quickly.

For any reason, if I still have beans that are three weeks old left in the cupboard, they get tossed and a new bag is cracked open. Never been without a couple of bags of freshly roasted for more than fourteen years so far...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      For any reason, if I still have beans that are three weeks old left in the cupboard, they get tossed and a new bag is cracked open. Never been without a couple of bags of freshly roasted for more than fourteen years so far...

Mal.
      As I have recently fessed up in another thread, ran out of freshly roasted beans on a recent trip to NSW, had to resort to 1kg of supermarket beans, the horror, it won't happen again if I can help it.

Comment

I hope you washed out your mouth with a good yirgachette. I roast every two weeks and seem to go through 1.2kg of greens each time. I would hate to see how much I would go through if I was addicted

Comment

I'm sure the fresh beans will cook faster and not need to soak, but are there any other differences I should know about? How will the resulting beans cook compared to dried beans? Will they also taste different?

Comment

Originally posted by iamavapollard View Post
            I'm sure the fresh beans will cook faster and not need to soak, but are there any other differences I should know about? How will the resulting beans cook compared to dried beans? Will they also taste different?
            Er, what??

Comment

Originally posted by iamavapollard View Post
              I'm getting a visual of John Wayne in chaps and a stetson crouched at a campfire ladling beans onto a metal plate: "Grub's up, Pilgrim".

Comment

Working...
              X