Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking Home Roasted Coffee into NZ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Taking Home Roasted Coffee into NZ?

    I'm going to be spending a few months in Dunedin, and was wondering whether anyone knows what the situation is with bring in home roasted coffee? Obviously all food items have to be declared at Customs? No big problem either way, but I figured I might take some safety stock until I locate a roaster that does the job.

  • #2
    Taking Home Roasted Coffee into NZ?

    Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    I'm going to be spending a few months in Dunedin, and was wondering whether anyone knows what the situation is with bring in home roasted coffee? Obviously all food items have to be declared at Customs? No big problem either way, but I figured I might take some safety stock until I locate a roaster that does the job.
    No problem at all Barry. Just declare them and you'll be fine. They probably won't even ask to see them, but they might ask if they're roasted or green. There are a few roasters in Dunedin, but I haven't tried any sorry so can't make a recommendation. I'm happy to recommend the better Kiwi roasters that sell online and places for buying green beans if you're interested.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've taken roasted coffee into several countries including NZ both in carry-on and packed luggage and even brought some back into Oz, I never declared it and never been asked about it. As long as it isn't green, it shouldn't be a problem.

      Comment


      • #4
        No worries. Thank you both. I've located a few local roasters in Dunedin and will certainly try them out. Just thought I might take some safety stock with me

        Comment


        • #5
          Know the feeling Barry. It's always nice knowing that you have your own "security blanket" on board.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
            I've taken roasted coffee into several countries including NZ both in carry-on and packed luggage and even brought some back into Oz, I never declared it and never been asked about it. As long as it isn't green, it shouldn't be a problem.
            It's an offence not to declare. Declare it and let them ok it, could save you a $500 fine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by trentski View Post
              It's an offence not to declare. Declare it and let them ok it, could save you a $500 fine.
              Is it? It's an offense to declare items which are not permitted...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by trentski View Post
                It's an offence not to declare. Declare it and let them ok it, could save you a $500 fine.
                OK. I thought otherwise and have never had a problem. I have brought roasted coffee back into Australia but, on review of our customs requirements, you appear to be correct. I guess this means you will need to check NZ customs requirements Barry.

                Arriving in Australia – Declare it! You must declare for inspection all food, plant material and animal products on arrival in Australia to ensure they are free of pests and diseases.
                Customs and quarantine | australia.gov.au

                Comment


                • #9
                  Declare it - you will be fine. it is the 'right' thing to do. Other than that, wrap up warm. This time of year in scarfie land it is cold, of course the food, wine and the whisky is the safeguard against the cold.

                  Enjoy yourself.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by s12raider View Post
                    Declare it - you will be fine. it is the 'right' thing to do. Other than that, wrap up warm. This time of year in scarfie land it is cold, of course the food, wine and the whisky is the safeguard against the cold.

                    Enjoy yourself.
                    Thanks. Yeh, the cold is nothing new to me (yesterday's temp range was -5 to 7 here, and it hasn't hit 5 degrees yet today). I will certainly be sure to acquire some safety stock of some local Pinot Noir as well. Get to try out my new LIDO 3 E-T as well

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                      Is it? It's an offense to declare items which are not permitted...
                      Right, so to get illegal items through customs we just don't declare them? Is that what you're saying? [emoji849]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hi All,

                        I have every intention of declaring the items (roasted coffee) at Customs.

                        Cheers
                        Barry.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                          Right, so to get illegal items through customs we just don't declare them? Is that what you're saying? [emoji849]
                          Roasted coffee is not illegal.

                          Do you declare leather shoes?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Taking Home Roasted Coffee into NZ?

                            Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                            Roasted coffee is not illegal.

                            Do you declare leather shoes?
                            Yes I know about the confusion and controversy over declaring 'leather goods and animal skins'. There's no need to declare leather shoes as its treated and finished.
                            Roasted coffee however is essentially a food. It's much safer to declare it as you can't get in trouble for doing so, but good luck talking your way out of the fine if they decide to ping you. I've taken coffee in both directions across the Tasman lots of times. I've always declared it and it's never been a problem. Until someone from Quarantine tells me I don't need to I'll keep doing so and it's what I'd recommend others too.
                            Also it's mostly legal goods that need to be declared. They just need to be monitored. I'm pretty sure that most people trying to smuggle in illegal goods are definitely not going to declare them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Taken vacuum sealed salami from Vic back to NZ. No issue. Coffee is not an item that needs to be declared. Pretty much only care about wood going into NZ. Bringing it back to Aus prob a different story, they are pretty anal about food.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X