Which Acaia scales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Acaia scales?

Im looking to get some Acaia scales for home, it seems that most cafes seem to run the Lunar as a scale for yield in the drip tray and a Pearl for weighing dose. Im not in a position to buy both, which is the common scale that most are using for both weighing dose and yield ?

Thanks!

$10 2kg/0.1g waterproof ebay job.

Comment

For me the brewista smart scale

Comment

Originally posted by simonko View Post
        $10 2kg/0.1g waterproof ebay job.
        Similar, been using one for about 7 years.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure the OP is aware it's not the cheap option...

I have the Lunar, the rubber pad is *just* wide enough to sit the P/F on with the end of the handle hanging slightly off one corner (the rubber provides sufficient friction to stop it slipping off), and the spouts resting on the other to weigh the dose. I think you can also buy a larger aluminium plate. I don't always weigh the output, but it fits very nicely on the drip tray, don't think the Pearl would be great for this. So either will probably be a compromise. I bought mine to use with my Aeropress and the Lunar is great for this, good for weighing dose and terrific for weighing yield (though I think this is less important). An unemotive analysis would probably lean toward the Pearl, but I'm happy with the Lunar, largely on aesthetics.

Comment

Haha I know, I currently have a cheaper set and they work ok, but I'd love to nerd out and get a nice set of specific built scales, where I don't have a dodgy contraption to balance my portafilter on whilst weighing. Considering I've spent $3.5+k on my machine and grinder, whats another few hundred

Comment

Here's a photo of my ECM portafilter on the Lunar scales - others might fit better or worse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And in the drip tray.

Last edited by Magic_Matt; 29 June 2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Just watched a video of the brewista smart scale and they seem really good. Are they durable? Much cheaper than the acaia too!

Comment

Is the brewista big enough to balance a portafilter on it for dosing from the grinder?

Comment

No it's not big enough. However I rest my pf in a ramekin that sits easily on the scales. Works just fine. Or grind into a jar and dose using a jam funnel

the scales themselves are great, but if you want to weigh wet and dry the auto modes aren't a great help. I use the mode where you manually tare and set the timer. It's great. Auto modes are great if you are not constantly switching to measure dry coffee as well as wet, though can take a bit of practice to get used to.

ive found mine to be durable within reason. They withstand water quite well. Keep them clean and don't immerse them in pools of water and I'm sure you'll get lots of use out of one.

some people say they can chew batteries. Not too bad in the home setting.

Comment

I fit my pf straight on the brewista for dose weight. It is a little tight but I have no problems.

Comment

The lunar looks really cool but I've never had a play with one. I've owned a Pearl for over a year now and it's a nice tool to have. When the Lunar launched I was inclined to sell the Pearl but the reality is that if size isn't a bother, the Pearl gets the job done. Not sure what the price difference is these days between the two models.

Comment

I really don't like the Brewista. Buttons are too close together, so when I power it off, it often changes the mode instead. The tare button doesn't work in auto mode so you have to power down and up again. And yes it eats batteries. I far prefer my $15 eBay special.

Comment

Got mine from Pullman Coffee (nice website too, pullman.coffee). They have a scale + dosing containers, which fits nicely on the portafilter.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurry View Post
                              Got mine from Pullman Coffee (nice website too, pullman.coffee). They have a scale + dosing containers, which fits nicely on the portafilter.
                              Interesting, just looked for the sponsor link for Pullman, not there! is the company still a CS sponsor?

Comment

Working...
                              X