Is my coffee grinder haunted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my coffee grinder haunted?

Own a Macap M7D. Usually performs significantly less like it has been possessed by a demon than it did this morning.

Over the past week, I have not needed to adjust the time that it grinds for (3.5 seconds), which has left the grind weight constant (around 18 grams), and have not adjusted the coarseness/fineness.

Every day INCLUDING THIS MORNING, I have been able to simply hit the button to dispense the grinds, receive my 18g approx into my basket, and brew a delicious shot of around 27g liquid in around 28 seconds.

As I said, this mornings 1st shot went great as usual. Then when I went to make my 2nd shot without changing anything on the grinder, I noticed 3 unusual symptoms:

1. Instead of the clump-free powder that usually comes out, it came out literally like a pile of small rocks.
    2. Instead of my standard 18g output, I received around 10g. I tried this on subsequent attempts and continued to receive around half of the expected ground coffee.
    3. As a 1st troubleshooting experiment I weighed enough of the output to get my standard 18g dose, and found that it completely blocked the espresso machine, ie it was much much finer than the grounds that I had used earlier today.
    4. As a 2nd troubleshooting experiment, I adjusted the grind to make it much much coarser so that my 3.5 seconds grind actually delivered an 18g dose. This still blocked the espresso machine.

WTF is going on?

Perhaps it's due for a clean?

Comment

I think the M7D is envious of the amount of coverage the Brazen is getting and you should sell it to me for negative $49.95 and I'll burn some Gambella beans in my roaster to exorcise the Macap demons.

Comment

... the Brazen that is.

Comment

But I'll take the Macap too.

Comment

Remove hopper; vacuum interior; check regulation ring to ensure it's not creeping fine (i.e., locked) when motor is on.

Comment

I have tried the hopper off and vacuum. Does this grinder need a regular clean via pulling apart components or separating the burrs like you do with a Mazzer?

Comment

I used to take off the top burr of my Mazzer as part of my cleaning routine but I know embarrassingly little about whether anything like this should be done on a Macap M7D

Comment

whether anything like this should be done on a Macap M7D
                  Good idea to do this regularly with any grinder. How often depends on the quantity of coffee you put through it...

Mal.

Comment

I take the top burr carrier off and clean it; inspect lower conical whilst it's off. You can check the fine edges of the final cut on top and lower cutters.

Comment

Two screws in the back of the auger worm-drive remove it from the regulation ring teeth.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                        X