A Portafilter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Portafilter Question

As mentioned in an earlier post highlighting a possible extraction issue, I mentioned I might invest in a bottomless Portafilter to better analyse my shots.
    1) What would be the best Naked Portafilter for the Vibiemme (VBM)

2) Would my my existing (double) Synesso ridgeless basket be okay for the job?
    Cheers again guys,
    Tony

Any naked will do the job. Some have nice handles, match your others etc. the cafelat one is great, is stainless and has a removable base.

Or you could just take to one of yours with a hole saw.

Any basket of the right diameter will fit, even deep ones as there is no base to interfere.

I made a naked PF years ago to suss out my extraction and now use naked exclusively. I find it so much cleaner and easier.

Cheers

Comment

Thank you artman!
      I do have a spare VBM portafilter with a single spout that I never use so I might take it to an engineer and let them remove the bottom.
      I appreciate your input.
      Thanks

Comment

Yeah it's an easy job, just need to find a workshop that can do it without a minimum charge (or uses 6 pack currency) otherwise might not be economical.

Check the inside of both of your PFs and drill out the worse one. Your unused single will probably be the one to keep intact. You can easily swap the spouts.

Cheers

Comment

Forgot to say, I have a blind in my normal PF for easy and quick backflushing.

Cheers

Comment

I kept my single intact because it looks cooler (the base is more rounded). I wish I'd sent the single off for machining as the double held a triple basket, sadly my single doesn't. Half a triple is the perfect strength for my partners latte in her favourite cup, half a double is a bit weak.

I sent mine off to level3ninja in Liverpool, along with some home roasted beans and he did an amazing job. Might be worth flicking him a pm to see if he's still offering his services

Comment

Before you cut into your PF have a good look at how strong it will be after the mod. Some are easily modified, but others will have considerably less strength.

Comment

Thanks all for your valuable input. I'll probably go with the e-61 Super from Talk Coffee. I won't cut my PF down because it would probably cost almost as much.

Comment

Working...
                X