Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground coffee! how long does it remain fresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground coffee! how long does it remain fresh?

Had an interesting experience today.

Ground a double dose, 36 grams of beans this AM, used 18 and deliberately left the other 18 in the hopper until this evening.

They say beans once ground will only last minutes, my observation from this single experience is that the ground coffee I let sit for 10 hours made a brew that was still quite acceptable, however the notable difference was the pour, it was quite thin, nowhere near as viscous as freshly ground.

So, perhaps the message to them that grind sufficient beans for a few days is, if you enjoy good coffee, don't do it.

We teach barista skills. Our reference for coffee staling is found here storage - When does coffee go off? - Coffee Stack Exchange From twenty years experience I am happy with the seven minutes posited in the article.

Comment

I've thought that it was closer to the rule of 2s: greens (2 years); roasted (2 weeks); ground (2 minutes). I might do an overnight experiment similar to Yelta's - replication being a key component of research and all...

Comment

Personally I've found it depends on what brewing method used. If I'm making espresso grinds don't seem to last long at all. The 2 minute rule seems excessive but is probably true. I can't say I've tested it exactly, but can confirm that half an hour later the pour is not the same. As Yelta said, less viscous and thin.

However I often make French press at work and found not (too) much difference when using grinds that are a day or two old. In fact I've used grinds up to four days old and they have been ok.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyF View Post
          I've thought that it was closer to the rule of 2s: greens (2 years); roasted (2 weeks); ground (2 minutes). I might do an overnight experiment similar to Yelta's - replication being a key component of research and all...
          The rule is 3's not 2's. And it's not a rule its a guide.

Comment

Originally posted by trentski View Post
            The rule is 3's not 2's. And it's not a rule its a guide.
            The rule is 7's not 2's, nor 3's ! Its a guide not a rule.

7 days for roasted beans to be at their best, 7 minutes after grinding before grounds are stale and 7 seconds after extracting to drink!

Comment

I think by now I've heard people say that rule with every number and I put zero faith in any of them. We tried an experiment with a few baristas and the conclusion was that after 20 minutes the effect was noticeable enough to say it was bad. Before that it was acceptable. This was espresso grind, we didn't bother with courser grinds

Comment

Popcorn.Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	742394

Comment

If you think in terms of particles. One bean ground for espresso approx. 3500 particles the potential for loss of aromatics and therefore flavour is spectacular. We have the ground coffee brewing within ten seconds of hitting the grind button. Safety in numbers. Why leave it around any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArnhemR View Post
                    The rule is 7's not 2's, nor 3's ! Its a guide not a rule.

7 days for roasted beans to be at their best, 7 minutes after grinding before grounds are stale and 7 seconds after extracting to drink!
                    That's a completely different set of patameters and the first one isn't even correct. Some beans take much longer post roast to reach their peak.

Comment

I'm unsure why people need to have these (rules) cast in stone, the fact is that as soon as beans are ground they begin to deteriorate, the shelf life of coffee grounds is a personal thing, 1, 2, 3, 4 ------ minutes or 24 hours after grinding, with some very simple trials you will discover what's acceptable and what has deteriorated to the point its undrinkable.

There are no rules, do what suits you, if your happy grinding a KG on Sunday and letting it sit around for a week as you use it fine, wouldn't suit me, but some don't care.
                      Last edited by Yelta; 24 July 2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I wonder it grinding does always deteriorate. As degassing is sped up with grinding, it could well bring beans which are just before peak into peak. Too early of course would be staled by oxidation.

Comment

I thought it was rules of 15! 15 minutes till the ground beans are stale, 15 days till roast beans are past there best and 15 months for green beans [emoji3]

Comment

Only in respect to supermarket beans K

Comment

Good to know

Comment

Working...
                              X