Cat poop coffee, Is it for real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat poop coffee, Is it for real?

Just came across this in the magazine. Is it for real? Don't think I have seen it for sale anywhere in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

It is believed to be one of the most expensive coffee however i find it really unpalatable.

Yeah this stuff has been kicking around for a loooooong time. I first heard about it about 10 years ago, but I'm sure it's existed for far longer than that. Gets discussed here on the forum every so often. Never tasted it, but I'm sure it's overpriced garbage.

Comment

Yep...

90% marketing hyperbole and 10% reality...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        Yep...

90% marketing hyperbole and 10% reality...

Mal.
        not to mention 90% animal cruelty, 10% crap coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          not to mention 90% animal cruelty, 10% crap coffee.
          Literally.

Comment

Can Say I have tried it, however have to question the whole process for many reasons. Firstly I feel is cruel tot he civet cat and secondly I feel we are being taken for a ride. The reason I say this is the output they say they get from the cats to the amount i see apparently sold through out the world doesn't add up whatsoever. I feel we might be getting a small % of the processed bean via the cat with the other larger % being a filler of some Indo bean.

Just an opinion, but one im willing to stick by.

Chris

Comment

"Regular" Indo beans provide plenty enough character for my liking anyhow...

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                "Regular" Indo beans provide plenty enough character for my liking anyhow...
                Don't know what "regular" Indo beans taste like, to be very honest...
                CS beans are way better than regular...

Mal.

Comment

I've tried it as a traditional Indonesian kopi tobruk (Ground coffee), it was slightly smoother than a normal coffee prepared the same way, but there is surely a placebo factor.
                  The best explanation of it came from the owner of FREAK coffee in Bali - wild luwaks eat only the ripest cherries, so the coffee is good because it's picked at the right time. Now, the luwaks are kept in cages and fed enormous amounts of coffee, so they lose that choice benefit as well as being cruel to the animals.
                  And if you wonder who got the idea to do this, it's worth googling pictures of the luwak stool - it's not a matter of picking up coffee beans from the floor, but actually there's a very nicely prepared bundle of beans all ready to go!

Comment

The Crivet Cats are now "caged farmed" to produce this coffee. Very cruel process...

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                      I cupped some at MICE2016 with some other Indonesian coffees. It didn't stand out as good or bad. Just middle of the road. One dimensional with muted high notes...

I had the idea of getting my kids to poop out coffee for * **** but decided against it as it would be a pretty poopy way to make a living.
                      That just conjures up way too many images. But god it gave me a great laugh

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                        Absolutely disgusting
                        The Kopi Luwak at MICE was guaranteed as "free range." Also, caged production is now illegal in Indonesia. I have no idea how well the industry is regulated though.
                        Probably as well regulated as everything else in the country...

Mal.

Comment

My sister was there a couple of weeks ago and they had them in cages.

Comment

The regulation is a tad on the lenient side. Halfway between Kuta and Ubud there is a place with around 8 cages, right on the highway and clearly sign-posted for tourists. The best tasting beverage in the place was the ginger/honey tea. The Luwak coffee was on par with Blend 43.

Comment

It probably was blend 43!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X