Pid temp setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pid temp setting

Can anyone please tell me the best starting point to set my pid at Celsius please. Ray.

Re: Pid temp setting

Gday Ray,

Need a bit more info first mate...... I guess the most important thing is to know what type of PID Controller setup you have and where the feedback t/couple junction is located. Some pics might be helpful too if possible ?

Cheers,
    Mal.

Comment

Hi
      what is the machine?
      My Botticelli likes 102C, Silvias usually get about 108C. Remember this is temp at top of boiler for both and translates to about 93C on both.
      Brett

Comment

Its an isomac napolissima, it has a brass boiler bolted directly on top of the group head, I have a K type thermocouple bolted directly to the top of the boiler..... Im told it has the same insides as the isomac venus, it pulls a great shot of coffee and therefore worthy of a pid so I think..... thanks heaps for your feedback......... Ray.

Comment

Sounds like a great little machine Ray,

As Brett has indicated, a starting Setpoint of 102 C would be a good place to kick off and then just dial it up or down depending on taste.... If slightly sour and puck is a bit mushy, temp is a bit low; slightly bitter and/or burnt taste then temp is a bit high. Just adjust setpoint by one degree at a time until youre happy with the taste rather than big changes.

All the best Ray,

Mal.

Comment

Yep taste is what its all about. To get it close I spent time with my daughter (apprentice chef) and we made a row of espressos with one degree differences and took a sip of each (allowing for washing mouth out between). 101 was verging on sour, 102 was great as was 103 for some things (milk drinks more than espresso) and 104 was heading towards bitter. I did the same to dial in boiler pressure on my commercials. I think you are going to end up with a lovely machine capable of lovely coffee if you take the time and rely on taste.
            Just remember as Mal said, that because of different machine designs each machine will have a different setpoint to produce similar coffee- my temps might produce burnt or sour espressos on your machine!
            Brett

Comment

Thanks heaps Brett and Mal, you have bean a huge help..... Ray.

Comment

Dont forget to let us know how you make out Ray... Its always interesting to read about the "dialling-in" process from other members with their particular setups as there is always something new to learn for all of us,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X