Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designing Kitchen with 'Coffee Station'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Designing Kitchen with 'Coffee Station'

    Hello Everyone,

    I'm a long time lurker here but haven't posted before as I haven't had anything of value to add.

    My wife and I are in the process of having plans drawn for our new home and my wife is having 'her' kitchen designed and planned to the finest detail. As a general rule, I tend to stay right out of the kitchen as my chef'ing skill leave a lot to be desired and my wife tends to chase me out if I go anywhere near it.

    Now the exception is if I'm making coffee. This got me to thinking, perhaps in our new kitchen I should have a dedicated Coffee Station, which for me would be a section of the kitchen I could come and go from without being chased off. My gear and my mess could remain in the one position, whereas now I often find stuff being shifted and packed away. This will probably be our last home, so I may as well put some thought into the process and in doing so I thought I'd get some advice from the good people of this forum.

    Ive decided to get a new Expresso Machine and I have my heart set on the Profitec Pro700 & as my old grinder gave up the ghost recently, I'm presently using a borrowed grinder, so when I get the machine I will update the grinder too and haven't decided on that either.

    Ive floated the idea of a coffee station with the wife and she's asked me to decide what I need to make my coffee station.

    Initially I thought I would require a small sink, near the machine, however my latest thoughts have simply been to have a point at the wall where I can plumb the machine in, the filtration will be below bench and also have drainage fixture below the bench where I can run/plumb the drip tray to. Obviously I would allow enough bench space beside the machine to place all the tools of the trade, grinder, tamper and so forth.

    If you were to set up a similar space what would you include in the area?

    I was planning on putting a 15amp power socket at the location to run the machine but I've since read on this forum that folk here think it's not necessary for the Profitec Pro700.

    Any input you give will be greatly appreciated as I seem to be drawing a blank in ideas. No doubt after installing a machine and after all the building is finished all these brilliant ideas will come up and by then it will be too late.

    Anyway, I look forward to reading your replies, assuming you haven't all gone to sleep by this stage of this thread. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    A good first step would be NOT referring to your new toy as an " Expresso Machine"

    Comment


    • #3
      If you're not installing a wash-up sink I'd install a rinser similar to one of these.


      Java "Easy clean-up" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
        A good first step would be NOT referring to your new toy as an " Expresso Machine"
        Ive broken one of the golden rules already, have I?

        Im not really sure it's much of a toy either, it's more like a lifeline to sanity IMO.

        Comment


        • #5
          Never seen one like that before, thanks for sharing, it's like a mini dishwasher, in the sink.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Smee View Post
            Never seen one like that before, thanks for sharing, it's like a mini dishwasher, in the sink.
            While you could mount the upper left one in a sink the others are stand alone models. Hence my "If you're not installing a wash-up sink..." comment.


            Java "Nifty devices R' Us" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              I was thinking directly under the machine I could have a drawer where I could keep all my bits and pieces amd maybe another one with my collection of cups and so forth.

              It would DEFINATELY be benificial to have a small sink located nearby where I could soak stuff and do my cleaning.

              If I take up too much space, I will be relocated out to the rear shed........now there's an idea.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Smee View Post

                I was planning on putting a 15amp power socket at the location to run the machine but I've since read on this forum that folk here think it's not necessary for the Profitec Pro700.
                What magic does your machine run on that it doesn't need a power socket?

                My main recommendation is a non-staining or dark coloured benchtop, and enough clearance to load cups on top of the machine. Sounds simple but lots of people think about gadgets before the basics.

                I have mine on the end of a bench near a wall and hang my milk jugs on hooks that are wall mounted to save bench space.

                I love rinsers, but unless you're making 10+ coffees a day, I'd save the bench space. Think about how often you're really going to use anything before getting bells and whistles and also the maintenance required. Most coffee cups go right in the dishwasher anyway.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tashie View Post
                  What magic does your machine run on that it doesn't need a power socket?

                  My main recommendation is a non-staining or dark coloured benchtop, and enough clearance to load cups on top of the machine. Sounds simple but lots of people think about gadgets before the basics.

                  I have mine on the end of a bench near a wall and hang my milk jugs on hooks that are wall mounted to save bench space.

                  I love rinsers, but unless you're making 10+ coffees a day, I'd save the bench space. Think about how often you're really going to use anything before getting bells and whistles and also the maintenance required. Most coffee cups go right in the dishwasher anyway.

                  I wasn't suggesting that I didn't need a power socket but rather suggesting I was considering having a 15amp one verses the standard 10amp.

                  Id be happy with most of my cups in the dishwasher, but a sink directly next to the machine would make maintance easier and avoid me running into trouble spreading my mess . Sometimes I like to let things soak. There will be ample room above the machine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I set up a golden rectangle, based on the golden triangle of kitchen design with coffee machine at the extra corner, between fridge and sink. I find it very handy as I'm usually making coffee with milk or butter.

                    Even if you only plan on getting the 10A Profitec 700, I'd still be tempted to have the electrician put a 15A circuit in for future.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Perhaps consider having a filter coffee station too?

                      My coffee "corner" is setup in my dining room with access to the kitchen sink (open plan house). I've got a section of the coffee bench dedicated to filter coffee (V60 & Kalita Wave, Hario Buono on a portable induction cooker and Lido III). The only wish I have which you'll be able to do is plumb in the machine.

                      But then again, there is a charm in making filter coffee in front of your guests, so maybe in your case the filter station in the corner of the kitchen may not be ideal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        For me the most important thing was that the coffee station was in a nice open space, seeing I spend so much time there. No overhead cupboards to dodge and a bit of an outlook.

                        It's not really close to the sink or the fridge, but it's plumbed in and I don't drink much Milk coffee. I have to walk over to get the milk it for my Mrs but no big deal.

                        Drawers underneath hold all the cups, coffee beans, dosing tools and other coffee hardware.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And make sure you plan heaps of general bench space too.. You can never have too much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by simonko View Post
                            I set up a golden rectangle, based on the golden triangle of kitchen design with coffee machine at the extra corner, between fridge and sink. I find it very handy as I'm usually making coffee with milk or butter.

                            Even if you only plan on getting the 10A Profitec 700, I'd still be tempted to have the electrician put a 15A circuit in for future.
                            its funny you should put it that way, as I was thinking something similar. Understanding my wife, she wants me away from her area and chefs have little triangle too. She suggested a drawer fridge where I could keep the dairy and other drinks. It seems I'm trying to rein in costs and she's spending up big! Maybe she doesn't realise what the Pro700 is going to cost us lol.

                            but you raise a good point and I agree about the 15amp.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by woodenteapot View Post
                              Perhaps consider having a filter coffee station too?

                              My coffee "corner" is setup in my dining room with access to the kitchen sink (open plan house). I've got a section of the coffee bench dedicated to filter coffee (V60 & Kalita Wave, Hario Buono on a portable induction cooker and Lido III). The only wish I have which you'll be able to do is plumb in the machine.

                              But then again, there is a charm in making filter coffee in front of your guests, so maybe in your case the filter station in the corner of the kitchen may not be ideal
                              Some good thoughts there too, thanks for replying.

                              Our plan whilst not complete is very open from where I was hoping to set it all up anyway, it's open living plan & I will gain much pleasure from sitting back glancing over at the machine, wondering if it's CoffeeOClock again. Cheers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X