Grinder Maintenance Regime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder Maintenance Regime

Today while I was doing my weekly cleaning regime, I couldn't help feeling like my grinder doesn't get the same love as my espresso machine. So I have decided I am going to increase the level of preventative maintenance my grinder receives, but wanted to find out what love everyone else gives their grinder?

Currently my cleaning involves:
    -Cleaning the hopper between bean changes to remove stale oils
    -Clearing the grind chamber and chute between bean changes
    -Cleaning the external housing weekly

G'day mate...

Does your grind chamber/throat clean include vacuuming out weekly or so?
    That's about the only other thing I would add...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      G'day mate...

Does your grind chamber/throat clean include vacuuming out weekly or so?
      That's about the only other thing I would add...

Mal.
      Thanks Mal

At the moment I have only been brushing it out, but using a vacuum makes so much more sense and less mess

Comment

I cleaned the hopper this one time

Comment

I vaccum out my grinder daily and give it the extra touch with a brush. I take out the burrs once a month to clean underneath and wipe off oils (there usually isn't much since I don't allow fines to sit around).
          Not a big effort once it's a part of the routine.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo89 View Post
            I vaccum out my grinder daily and give it the extra touch with a brush. I take out the burrs once a month to clean underneath and wipe off oils (there usually isn't much since I don't allow fines to sit around).
            Not a big effort once it's a part of the routine.
            I have thought about pulling the burrs out for cleaning but have always been a bit worried about collateral damage, due to my inexperience more than anything.

Comment

Depending on the grinder model it can be a lot simpler than you might imagine. In saying that though, always stick to what you're comfortable with

Comment

I think removal of the stationary burr carrier is not really required more often than monthly if you're doing all the other good things. I sometimes leave it for a couple of months and there is hardly any difference in retained coffee residues...

Mal.

Comment

It looks like I'm not too far off the mark with my current process.

I am going to look into "grindz" and possibly removing the burr carrier for cleaning periodically. [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                    I think removal of the stationary burr carrier is not really required more often than monthly if you're doing all the other good things. I sometimes leave it for a couple of months and there is hardly any difference in retained coffee residues...

Mal.
                    Certianly not necessary as you say, I just like to tinker in my spare time. I change beans a lot and no longer own my second mazzer so I like to give it a decent clean monthly. Easy if you have a micro dial style grinder as there is no need to recalibrate (I don't own one anymore but the design is great).

Comment

All good mate...
                      Just wanted to point out that more often is an option really...

Mal.

Comment

Occasionally I'll spend 30 seconds with the brush cleaning under the burrs... but then again, I guess manual grinders don't have a lot to clean :-)

Comment

I pull the Mazzer apart every few months. It doesn't take a lot of effort really and clean equipment = clean taste.

Comment

I wonder which grinder is quickest and easiest to clean?

Comment

Originally posted by Smee View Post
                              I wonder which grinder is quickest and easiest to clean?
                              None of them. They all take time...My experience is that they rarely get cleaned...

Comment

Working...
                              X