Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to measure caffeine content in coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to measure caffeine content in coffee?

Hi all

Does anyone know of an easy and relatively accurate way to measure the actual amount of caffeine in my coffee?

I've google/youtube and I can only find lab tests which I recall doing myself many moons ago but I'm hoping maybe a TDS type meter, test strips or someone of that ilk now exists?

Basically I'm experimenting with cold brew and want to know empirically what the effect is on the caffeine concentration.

A fairly simple test:

(Please measure accurately to keep the ratios intact)

* 50ml of the test coffee - needs to be chilled to 4 degrees C.
    * 1 x Aspro Clear 300mg tablet - (not the "extra strength" 500mg but does have to be the effervescent bubbly Aspro Clear tablet)
    * 10ml of lemon juice - (pulp free, filtered through a coffee filter is best)

* Test strips - Blotting Paper is best, cut into 10mm wide strip.

Add contents into a clean glass before the coffee gets to room temperature, soak the end of the "test strip" and allow to dry on a tea-towel.

You can do multiple coffees in a row but be careful they don't get warm.
    Colour of the test strip is a good indicator...

Comment

You learn something new everyday!!

Sounds like something new to try out for fun.

Comment

Interesting!! Will have to have a crack at that

So the colour of the strip is an indicator of caffeine content?? Is there a chart to compare it to?

Comment

Cheers Andy

As AndrewT said, is there a colour chart to compare the strips against?

Comment

I can only imagine it's a light to dark process as the old caffeine sticks measured caffeine using letters like C+ & D+ at least thats what I understood.

Cheers (noobie)

Comment

Originally posted by fratellimacchina View Post
              I can only imagine it's a light to dark process as the old caffeine sticks measured caffeine using letters like C+ & D+ at least thats what I understood.

Cheers (noobie)
              Yeah that's what I think. You'll have a range of coloured strips from which you can tell which has more or less caffeine but not how much caffeine there is, eg 30mg/L.

Hopefully Andy will come back and clarify.

Comment

Working...
              X