Water filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water filtering

I've just upgraded to a machine that I care enough about to look into filtering the water I use.

At first I thought it would be as simple as get a (relatively) cheap Brita jug, some new filters every now and again - bam, sorted. No so apparently....

As far as I can tell, there are a couple of options:
    • Under sink filter - can't justify as the only coffee drinker in the house
    • Retrofit a countertop solution like an Aqua Pro - wife says no
    • Do nothing and let the scale build up - not keen on this either

What I'd reaaaally like is a Brita jug type device that does soften water that I can fill and put in the cupboard and use when needed. Does such a thing exist?

Another thought I had was buying bottled water that is softer, but I don't even know if this is a thing. I can buy "Natural Spring Water" from the supermarket for ~$0.50 a litre, it'd be great if I could just use that.

Any thoughts from CS on this? Anyone been in a similar position?

I have a Brita jug, I just top the machine up when I switch the machine on to warm up. As long as there is enough water to run the boiler its fine

Comment

Gday Andbrews, I have just gone through the water filtration issue myself and I recommend buying a water test kit so you know exactly what your dealing with.

I'm in Perth and my water is very hard so I use bottled water from Coles $4 for 10 liters and I test each batch and they have all tested perfect.

If I knew I wasn't going to be moving any time soon I would get a Brita C150 under sink filter as I have tested a lot of drinking filters and they do little to soften water.

Comment

Originally posted by andbrews View Post
        I've just upgraded to a machine that I care enough about to look into filtering the water I use.

At first I thought it would be as simple as get a (relatively) cheap Brita jug, some new filters every now and again - bam, sorted. No so apparently....

As far as I can tell, there are a couple of options:
        • Under sink filter - can't justify as the only coffee drinker in the house
        • Retrofit a countertop solution like an Aqua Pro - wife says no
        • Do nothing and let the scale build up - not keen on this either

What I'd reaaaally like is a Brita jug type device that does soften water that I can fill and put in the cupboard and use when needed. Does such a thing exist?

Another thought I had was buying bottled water that is softer, but I don't even know if this is a thing. I can buy "Natural Spring Water" from the supermarket for ~$0.50 a litre, it'd be great if I could just use that.

Any thoughts from CS on this? Anyone been in a similar position?

Not sure if you have seen this from Talk Coffee, Filtration | Talk Coffee, worth a look. With the Aqua Pro you can put it in the cupboard when your finished and the wife's bench will be clear again.

Comment

Originally posted by Logga View Post
          Not sure if you have seen this from Talk Coffee, Filtration | Talk Coffee, worth a look. With the Aqua Pro you can put it in the cupboard when your finished and the wife's bench will be clear again.
          Or do what I did and attach the Aqua Pro to the Laundry tap (mains supply, not grey). This compromise resulted in Filtered water for coffee machine and drinking, and happy wife has a clear kitchen bench space. Win/Win

Cheers
          Mal

Comment

I see Brita has a new product that mite work. AquaGusto | BRITA Professional

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
              Stick the C150 under the kitchen bench, out of site. You can then go under and fill a jug at any time.
              Yes, this is the way to go.

Comment

I second the C150 solution.
                Had it at home for a couple of years now and it's been very good.

I notice it the most with our kettle. It's one with the solid base element that you can see through the glass.
                When using regular water, I would need to descale with some citric acid every few months.
                With the water through the C150 - have not needed to descale as yet.

Brett.

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. The AquaGusto is interesting, I hadn't come across that before.

****** - I had thought that the C150 needed to be plumbed in to a tap to work, do you have any links to how you're suggesting to use it without plumbing? Sorry, I can't see it in my head

Comment

Above sink - Blank on left, regular flickmixer in middle, C150 tap on right.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160821_010511[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	742562

Under sink
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160821_010059[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	742563
                    Mine needed to be plumbed in, and it may not be possible for some people.
                    There is an above sink tap and goose neck that needed a slot in the sink.
                    Our sink has 3 slots and only the middle was in use. The other 2 were covered by blanks.
                    So the plumbing underneath the sink was just a couple of fittings that had to be put in (did it myself with instructions in the kit without any issue) and the tap took over one of the blank slots.
                    If you don't have a spot for the tap, then it might not be the right solution for you.

Brett.
                    Last edited by fatboy_1999; 21 August 2016, 01:11 AM. Reason: added pics

Comment

Originally posted by andbrews View Post
                      Thanks all for the feedback. The AquaGusto is interesting, I hadn't come across that before.

****** - I had thought that the C150 needed to be plumbed in to a tap to work, do you have any links to how you're suggesting to use it without plumbing? Sorry, I can't see it in my head
                      You should be able to use this one, Brita C150 Finest with PLV to plumb your machine | Talk Coffee, if you have a water out put under the sink, like a dishwasher and then put a tap on the end where it usually plumbs in to machine, then just fill jug and into machine, that's if you don't want to plumb it in.

Comment

When I say put a tap on it, I mean just a simple on/off tap and have it in the cupboard, If you don't want it on the bench top.

Comment

Thanks fatboy_1999 - pics are super helpful. I don't have any blanks on my sink though so it's not going to work for me.

Logga - I see what you're saying. I think the bit about the tap under the sink was where I was coming unstuck. It makes sense and given that I can't put something above the sink might be the best solution. Cheers!

Comment

You can get flick mixers that will dispense the normal hot and cold and also the c150 filtered water, all out of the same spout. You just replace your current tap with the 3 way one, filter etc under the sink as usual.

Cheers

Comment

I had a plumbed in filter at my previous house and the only issue i had was you never know when it needed to be changed apart from the shop sending you a reminder once a year.
                              At least with the Brita jug there is a LED indicator you can see every time you use the jug.

Comment

Working...
                              X