Rapadura Sugar for your Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapadura Sugar for your Coffee

I love it and rate it highly as a bit of a discovery, for me at least.

I found some organic Rapadura sugar at my local health food shop for $1.30 per 100g which is a bit expensive.

Definition....

Rapadura is the pure juice extracted from the sugar cane (using a press), which is then evaporated over low heats, whilst being stirred with paddles, then ground to produce a grainy sugar. It has not been cooked at high heats nor spun to change it into crystals and the molasses has not been separated from the sugar.
    Last edited by wattgn; 30 August 2016, 06:29 PM.

Tried Rapadura for a bit but after sampling some Coconut Blossom Sugar (pretty widely available) I've stopped using Rapadura... There is another similar product called Palm Sugar and is made from the sap of the Palmyra Palm in a similar vein to Rapadura. Also made using an evaporative process...

CBS is quite expensive too compared to refined sugar but given how little I use and how infrequently, a little goes a long way...

Mal.

Comment

I might go down to my local healthfood shop and check it out. I liked the Rapadura as it has that nice molasses flavour which I think complements coffee.

Comment

I bought some organic coconut sugar and will try that. It looks very much like rapadura sugar in terms of both colour, medium brown and consistency which is much finer than crystalline sugar product you get from supermarkets. This is perfect for espresso as it dissolves 10x faster.

Comment

I've always found my coffee is sweet enough not to need sugar.

Comment

Taste is a perception with many variables.
            A tunnel visioned mindset prohibits one from exploring and discovering new sensations.

The addition of maple syrup or unrefined sugars (beet, cane or coconut) can enhance other flavours in black coffee, as there are many SO or blends that do not have the syrupy sweetness some may crave.

De-sensitive yourself from coffee and then embrace it again. You may be amazed at your new taste preferences....

Comment

I wouldn't be able to drink coffee without sugar. The bitterness is just unpleasant. I will try some coconut blossum sugar today. It is 70 to 70 percent sucrose rest is fructose and glucose.

Comment

Originally posted by wattgn View Post
                I wouldn't be able to drink coffee without sugar. The bitterness is just unpleasant
                Perhaps you have just never had a top notch one. Great coffee is and should be sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                  Perhaps you have just never had a top notch one. Great coffee is and should be sweet!
                  I've tried hundreds. For me definitely not. Remember human perception of taste is variable so my perception of taste is different to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    thats it.

Years ago I use to add sugar to coffee,it's what I did with that evil substance instant coffee and then when I started playing with espresso I just added it because that's what I'd always done.

one day I ran out of sugar and only realised after pouring a shot, so I drank it without sugar and it was only at that exact moment I realised that I'd been murdering fine coffee by polluting it with the Devils juice (sugar).

haven't had sugar in a coffee since although sometimes I admit it get milk added.

Comment

Don't take sugar myself, but agree the great range of different sugars available these days provides for great taste experimentation and a whole new palate of flavours.

Comment

Yes, some lovely sugars around that add to the taste IMHO.

If you are doing some sort of official tasting then maybe sugar can get in the way but no if you're just enjoying coffee as that is a personal choice.

An analogy is people who tell me to have whisky at room temperature with no water or just a small amount of water. It is the correct way to taste whisky but if you choose to put ice in it then that is a matter of taste.

I've tried plenty of good beans without sugar in tastings but would still always use sugar.

I like long blacks too just as much as espressos.

I also enjoy Soy Milk Lattes as well.

I even enjoy cocoa Soy Milk drinks steamed and frothed using the Wega. Steam the milk then add sugar and cocoa. Yum.

Espressos I do enjoy but not all the time. It doesn't always suit, either with or without my coffee blossum or rapadura sugar.

Comment

I'll often get my sugar living friends to try it without sugar first. Some enjoy it that way, others still want sugar. No big deal.

Comment

Caffeine is a very bitter alkaloid and lots of it in coffee.

Comment

Chew a few of these before you try your espresso, that'll alter you perception: miracle berry (Synsepalum dulcificum).

Comment

Working...
                              X