Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs in portafilter.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bugs in portafilter.

    Well, the past few days we've had a problem with fruit flies (or vinegar flies: is there a difference?). They seem to get through the screens somehow. Anyway, this afternoon I went to make a coffee. I picked up the portafilter and found tiny maggots inside,presumably munching on the coffee oils (yes, I hadn't scrubbed it recently [emoji10]). I'd show pictures but the little buggars are on a one way trip to Bondi ATM.
    So just a warning; check your portafilters before making a coffee if you don't want extra protein in your cup[emoji14].
    Last edited by Javaphile; 8 November 2016, 05:59 PM. Reason: Fix Title

  • #2
    Damn, how do I change topic heading to correct my autocorrect? Should be Bugs in portafilter.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had a machine come in for service with the complaint that the coffee tasted a bit off.
      After confirming their technique was correct and a proper grinder was being used, the normal things, it still had an odd taste.

      I then noticed the portafilter still had the plastic insert fitted.
      Upon its removal, i found a dead and somewhat decomposed cockroach under it.....
      Safe to say, when it was removed the taste returned to normal.

      Comment


      • #4
        You should be rinsing after every use.
        Would have been worth adding coffee and pulling a shot. Could be the next big thing

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ajayro57 View Post
          Damn, how do I change topic heading to correct my autocorrect? Should be Bugs in portafilter.

          Java "Fixed!" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
            I had a machine come in for service with the complaint that the coffee tasted a bit off.
            After confirming their technique was correct and a proper grinder was being used, the normal things, it still had an odd taste.

            I then noticed the portafilter still had the plastic insert fitted.
            Upon its removal, i found a dead and somewhat decomposed cockroach under it.....
            Safe to say, when it was removed the taste returned to normal.
            Would you like one cockroach or two with your coffee today Sir?

            Comment


            • #7
              A small bowl of Apple Cider Vinegar will get rid of the fruit flies, worked a treat for me after I had a heap of them sharing the kitchen with me last summer. They usually come in on the fruit and veg we buy, and they love old fruit and veg.

              I won't lie, the thought of that cockroach made me a tad quesey...

              Comment


              • #8
                Sounds good! So I just place a small bowl of apple cider vinegar on the kitchen bench and that's it?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ajayro57 View Post
                  Sounds good! So I just place a small bowl of apple cider vinegar on the kitchen bench and that's it?
                  Yep, simple as that. You can put the top of a bottle or glad wrap with a hole in it over the top of the bowl if you want, apparently makes it harder from them to escape. You will need to discard and refill every 5 days or so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They don't eat much and depending on the flavour you get, you might quite like them. If they are getting to the portafilter then I presume your system isnt plumbed in. Probably getting in your water tank

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X