Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

Well where have you all been all my life! I just discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago and wish that I had discovered you a long time ago. Ive been lurking for a couple of weeks and kind of getting the gist of things

Heres my life so far. Back on 2000 I bought a Saeco cause when I did the research this was the best machine for my money. Boy how things have changed in the last few years. I have been happy with my machine and still am but after reading posts am wondering if I should be. I have been toying with the idea of buying a new machine for a few months now.

:-[ I am ashamed to say that I buy preground from Merlo. I always knew it wasnt the freshest but didnt realise how bad. Im a Flat White girl and usually make 4 + a day

So here is my dilemna. Do I buy a new machine first or stick with my Saeco and buy a Sunbeam EM0480? Then I see the posts about the HN $399 6900. Do I try and get this or save up and wait for the 6910 (hopefully upgraded). Decisions +

Oh and thank the lord that I found you and the post about Coffee in Brisbane. I have am now a Naked Coffee convert. I was getting so sick of crap inconsistent coffee in Brisbane City.

thanks for your help all advice appreciated
    Sue

Re: Confused

My advice would be to save up and get either a Gaggia Classic and Iberital challenge grinder or a hand grinder (the cheapest option) or save that little bit more and get a Sylvia and Iberital challenge or hand grinder.

The Sunbeams are still a bit inconsistant at present in my mind to take the risk, and I have heard too many nasty things about the 6900 to take the risk.

Comment

Thanks Lucinda

What if I got a good grinder for the moment to go with my current machine? Am I wasting my time should I just wait and save up for both. Probably what i mean is, is my machine that bad that even a good grinder wont make a difference. I actually dont think it is that bad or maybe Im just used to it. It tastes a heck of a lot better than a lot of cafe coffees. So will it be even better with a good grinder

Thanks
      Sue

Comment

Hi Sue,

If you dont have a grinder at the moment then get a good grinder first. You could then save up for a newer machine while still enjoying better coffee with freshly ground beans.

Comment

Gday Sue,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

I second the vote for getting the best grinder you can afford, use freshly roasted beans and then grind immediately before you brew.... you will be amazed at the improvement in quality. From what Ive read around the traps, the Saeco VV is a capable little machine and when coupled with a decent grinder, should allay the upgradeitis virus for a while . All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Welcome Sue.
            I was going to say what steve and Mal said.

Comment

Thanks heaps! Off now to fully research grinders. I was kind of hoping that people would recommend a grinder for the old machine for a while. I have $200 worth of Myer Vouchers so the Sunbeam wouldnt cost me anything unless someone can recommend something better that Myer would sell.

Also I know I am crossing over other parts of the forum but ......

A doserless machine does the cofee grind into a cup and then you use a scoop to the PF??? I know I come from a different planet than you experts

Also can anyone in Brissy let me know where I can go and buy a single filter for my PF. Ive always used the double or should I continue doing this????

Ta
              Sue

Comment

You grind directly into the PF.

I always use the double.
                Singles are less forgiving.

Comment

Thanks again! Ive spent ages going through pages and searching for info on this forum.

I think I just need to ask the simple question no matter how stupid

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue ,
                    maybe look into getting a non-pressurized portafilter for your Saeco ( assuming that you have the Via Venezia).

regards
                    Dino

Comment

Hey Dino

Its a Magic Cappuccino but a bit of a dinosaur (bought in 2000). I use the double basket lost the single ages ago well never really used it. How do I know if it is a pressurised portafilter?

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue ,

when you take the filter basket out of the portafilter and you cant see through the portafilter it is pressurized - also it will be spring loaded.

regards
                        Dino

Comment

Yep has a spring remember when I cleaned it the other day

Just went searching for my user manual. Couldnt find it but did find my original receipt. I bought it off a supplier in Sydney back in 2000 for OMG $300. I think she has done her time for that price. Will have something to say to hubby when he gets home tonight as he thinks I dont need a new one. Well after spending $200 in one day in Xrays and stuff after his Dirt Biking accident on Saturday and thats just the start of rehabilitation. I think a new machine might be coming my way pretty soon

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sueb link=1182743759/0#12 date=1182772016
                            Yep has a spring remember when I cleaned it the other day

Just went searching for my user manual. Couldnt find it but did find my original receipt. I bought it off a supplier in Sydney back in 2000 for OMG $300. I think she has done her time for that price. Will have something to say to hubby when he gets home tonight as he thinks I dont need a new one. Well after spending $200 in one day in Xrays and stuff after his Dirt Biking accident on Saturday and thats just the start of rehabilitation. I think a new machine might be coming my way pretty soon
                            Fair nuff Sue ,

According to some info Ive been able to dig up from sites like this, the Saeco Magic does indeed have pressurised baskets so to get the best out of your little Magic Machine with a grinder, you would need to try and get non-pressurised or normal baskets which so happens, Saeco also happen to make so theoretically, you should be able to guy what you need. I know that some other members have done exactly this and so should be able to give you part number info, etc.

Regarding the grinder.... The Sunbeam EMO480 is a capable grinder and probably at the bottom of the pile as far as espresso grinders go but should allow you to get the Magic performing quite well. There is a lot of info about the SB EMO480 grinder to be found on the site and a "Search" will highlight threads about this for you. All the best Sue, and happy hunting for which ever way you decide to go,

Cheers,
                            Mal.

Comment

Working...
                            X