Technique Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technique Help Needed

Question for all the Baristas out there...

Ive been able to pull a decent shot of coffee... and generally extraction is 30mls in 25-30secs.

What Im finding though, is:

1) Whenever I "bang" the remains of the espresso puck in my knock box, it appears muddy, wet and doesnt come out as one cohesive puck (usually falls apart)

2) I get some grinds that appear in my coffee cup

I apply pressure tamp, changed the grind "slightly" coarser or finer and still not much luck in getting a great result.

Any help on perfecting this would be much appreciated guys!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Technique Help Needed

You might be under dosing, usually you will see an imprint of shower screen or screw in your unwetted puck prior to flippin the switch, try that.
    but do one thing at a time.

Comment

Hi Sullo,

Thanks for the tip. Ill give that a try

Hopefully that also fixes the problem with the rogue grains making it to the cup.

Cheers!

Comment

It does sound like you are under dosing,

By your pic it looks like you have an expobar, they do not like being overdosed and are very unforgiving in this matter!

Try the grind on the finer side of what you have been doing(but remember that you still have to experiment a bit here), then as you fill your portafilter tap it on the bench to consolidate at about 1/2 full, then fill to the top,even your grind with your style of choice and then sweep the overflow off the top so it is flat with the edge of the portafilter (or maybe even a little concave), tamp lightly give the pf a tap on the side, then tamp as you would normally it should give you the right dose and a more solid dryer puck and a much better coffee!

cheers !

Craig.

p.s. if that does not work tell people that it was not your idea and some twit on the internet gave you a bum steer!!!

Comment

coastal coffee is pointing you in the right direction. Sounds like it is a dosing issue.Do what coastal coffee recommends to find the correct dosing technique for your machine.

After pulling your shot, let the portafilter sit there until you have finished your coffee then remove it and give the puck a little push with your finger, you should see a clear imprint of the showerscreen and when you push the puck it should be slightly spongy but firm, if that makes sense.

Do a routine that will result in consistency with your dosing, distribution & tamping.

Good luck

Comment

Gday 30in30,
            Im going to disagree slightly with Coastalcoffee here.
            Soupy pucks are usually a sign of underdosing and/or too fine a grind.
            Imagine trying to pour water through a hand full of sand, then the same amount of water through a hand full of gravel. The water will pool more in the sand than the gravel. That is a bit of an extreme example, but you get the idea in relation to particle size. Grinding too fine may also be contributing to coffee grounds in the cup.
            Apart from that, Ill agree with everyone else about only changing one variable at a time.
            Good luck with it.

---Edit--- Ive changed the wording, thanks Wushoes. I must have been typing with my eyes closed again  :-[

Comment

water through water...interesting...never heard that analogy before

other than spot on lovey.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovey link=1183167050/0#5 date=1183171392
                Gday 30in30,
                Im going to disagree slightly with Coastalcoffee here.
                Soupy pucks are usually a sign of underdosing and/or too fine a grind.
                [
                how dare you .......naah just joking,

I suppose the point I was trying to make was, to get the dose right using the Expobar with its unforgiving nature when it comes to overdosing, if the grind is too course it just runs thru like sand thru th hour glass and so are the days of our Java!

You are right if the grind is far too fine itll blow and then no I wont go there. anyway it will blow and become constipated all at the same time.

Craig.

Comment

Working...
                X