Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get a coffee plant?

Hi CSers,
    Im based in Perth and wondered if anyone knows where I can get a coffee plant.
    Cheers
    James

Re: Where to get a coffee plant?

Howdy James,

Great Idea...

I just got four plants delivered from NSW from http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/ Im hoping to make a hedge out of them... the missus is an architect and shes happy with the way the foliage looks so Im going to order some more to get a nice big hedge that I can harvest from... probably taste awful, but itll keep me interested for a few years!

Anyway, the guys at Dalys were very helpful and they also freighted it down to melbourne within about 5 days which was great!

Good Luck with it all...

Cheers! [smiley=beer.gif]

Steve

Comment

For those that have fully grown coffee trees, now might be a good time to look around underneath them to see if any beanlings   have come up.  I recently got 4 seedlings from my mothers 2 (now 3) coffee trees this way.

Ive asked her to harvest some berries for me, and Ill try my luck at propagation.  If I can propagate the 20 plants (only 16 to go) that I want, any excess will no doubt end up on here.  (Probably for a donation to Fair Crack + Postage?)  But dont hold your breath...

Comment

Hi guys,
        Just checked out the daleys fruit site, they now send plants over to WA but with a fumigation cost (quarantine service) and freight , six plants which are only about $10 each will cost $150 in total. Apparently the freight carton is only aboy 30% full with six plants so if any others from Perth would like to perhaps go in with me, we may be able to reduce the cost per plant. I guess another 12 or so plants will fit in the carton. I am happy to pay the total upront cost. Let me know.
        Cheers
        James

Comment

Have you checked out your local nurseries?

I was lucky enough to get one at my local. They only had the one tree and it was with other exotic plants. I really didnt think they would have any, but there you go. It is now hiding from the frost under my palm trees.

Juls

Comment

Originally posted by stevenkylie link=1185172427/0#1 date=1185198974
            Howdy James,

Great Idea...

I just got four plants delivered from NSW from http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/ Im hoping to make a hedge out of them... the missus is an architect and shes happy with the way the foliage looks so Im going to order some more to get a nice big hedge that I can harvest from... probably taste awful, but itll keep me interested for a few years!

Anyway, the guys at Dalys were very helpful and they also freighted it down to melbourne within about 5 days which was great!

Good Luck with it all...

Cheers!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Steve
            Theyre actually sweet Steve - not like regular cherries and really dont have a lot of flavour and not as much to eat, but yep, they are sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenkylie link=1185172427/0#1 date=1185198974
              Howdy James,

Great Idea...

Good Luck with it all...

Cheers!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Steve
              Hey Steven,

Keep in mind for Melbourne that its a one frost and theyre dead situation... I cover my plants on cold nights...

2mcm

Comment

2MCM,

Thanks for the tip... Id better cover em up... theyre still in the pots but will get planted this weekend...

Its been way cold here... so I hope theyre OK!

Cheers! [smiley=beer.gif]

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1185172427/0#6 date=1185260819
                  Keep in mind for Melbourne that its a one frost and theyre dead situation... I cover my plants on cold nights...

2mcm
                  Great, now I have a picture in my head of Chris putting little jackets on his plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1185172427/0#8 date=1185282223
                    Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1185172427/0#6 date=1185260819

2mcm
                    Great, now I have a picture in my head of Chris putting little jackets on his plants.
                    Erm...more like wheely bin liners.....Theyre getting big!

Comment

Id second trying local nurseries in your area if you cant find them go to your local Bunnings and ask their nursery to get them, they have them in QLD so they might be able to order them in for you. That way you will probably aviod the frieght cost as they will order other plants to make min order value.

Andrew

Comment

Thanks sarg,
                        Ill try bunnings tomorrow. No real choice of other nurseries in the immediate area as bunnings has run the private operators out of business. (then jacked the prices up!)
                        cheers.
                        James

Comment

Theres other threads on this topic, have a gawk through the pages to find more info - but to save some time, heres the link to a nursery who does sell a few different varieties. Most places only sell one type of coffee.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/coffee.htm

Comment

Rolley, I think James was looking for somewhere over in WA; Fumigation costs making the price too high to get them from Daleys.

James, have you had any luck with Bunnings?

Comment

No good at bunnings,
                              I think I will wait till spring has sprung then order my plants through daleys. Did quite the ring around nurseries but to no avail. Wiil post if I find a supply in perth though. Thanks all for your input.
                              James

Comment

Working...
                              X