Espresso taste, feedback on settings please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilsonj View Post
    Sounds like a syrupy shot anyway. What volume are you getting ?

Well done on the art, it looks lovely!
    I don’t measure volume cause it’s basically meaningless. From past experience I would imagine it would be around 40ml.

Comment

Never go by volume or mass; just quality in the cup...

Mal.

Comment

if you're drinking it with milk then volume is definitely a consideration as too much coffee overwhelms the milk and not enough and you can't taste it

even so I wouldn't usually go past 40ml from 21.5g for home use, and more likely closer to 30-35ml as the tail end of a longer extraction just seems to produce bitterness combined with excess caffeine which just interferes with my ability to have another coffee !

when I started my coffee journey I went around to all the best coffee places in Melbourne and tried their coffee, and those that I enjoyed I asked them how they produced certain results in the cup, which I then tried to reproduce either at work or at home

then there's that 'aha' moment when you finally hit the sweet spot !

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy View Post
          if you're drinking it with milk then volume is definitely a consideration as too much coffee overwhelms the milk and not enough and you can't taste it

even so I wouldn't usually go past 40ml from 21.5g for home use, and more likely closer to 30-35ml as the tail end of a longer extraction just seems to produce bitterness combined with excess caffeine which just interferes with my ability to have another coffee !
          The point is that volume differs with the proportion of crema produced etc, whereas the mass of the extracted coffee does not. You are right when you say 'too much coffee overwhelms the milk', but measuring whether you have 'too much' coffee by reference to volume introduces a lot of noise to the estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy View Post

when I started my coffee journey I went around to all the best coffee places in Melbourne and tried their coffee, and those that I enjoyed I asked them how they produced certain results in the cup, which I then tried to reproduce either at work or at home

then there's that 'aha' moment when you finally hit the sweet spot !
            It’s true that will affect the volume ratio of espresso to milk, but when you consider that the range it would vary across is only about 10ml and you’re making a drink that is anywhere from 150-300ml I don’t think it would actually make much difference. What would make a bigger difference is the strength of the espresso and both strength and extraction are outcome variables of the mass ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
              ... you’re making a drink that is anywhere from 150-300ml ...
              Is there a thread or poll somewhere about what people typically drink? I ask from curiosity, struck by the fact that our common milk coffees are 90-120 mL total (or grams, a bit more mL with foam on a capp) with my wife's occasional 150 mL an outside case.

Comment

Working...
              X