Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Australian Espresso so acidic and where can I find a more balanced one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Australian Espresso so acidic and where can I find a more balanced one ?

Hey there Coffee Snobbers

Arrived in Sydney 3 days ago. First time in Australia.
    Was looking for a good espresso so used google.
    Ive been to 3 very high rated places.
    All use good grinders such as Mahlkonig EK43 ,have very good distribution and tamping techniques.
    So why does it taste so acidic ??? Are Australian roasters under-roasting Their beans on purpose?

Im gonna stay here for the next two and a half weeks, and I really really want a balanced,
    full bodied espresso, that won’t make me feel like I’m drinking a lemonade

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Probably depends a lot on where you are actually staying.
    Lots to choose from in Sydney...
    https://coffeesnobs.com.au/nsw-act/2...ydney-cbd.html

Mal.

Comment

May wanna name where you've been...

Z...

Comment

where are you from and what do you usually drink?

Comment

Originally posted by woodhouse View Post
          where are you from and what do you usually drink?
          I am from Israel. But it’s difficult to know by that I think. Because I don’t know if you’ve been there and Baristas in Israel suck most of the time.

I usually drink double espressos.
          And I think Israel’s coffee culture is leaning more towards the Italian type of taste.

The beans that I like most from known brands are:
          Mauro - centoprecento - https://www.espresso-international.c...o-1000g-beans/

Cafe diemme- Caffè Diemme - Caffè Diemme

Hausbrandt - Hausbrandt Espresso Whole Beans 2.2lbs - this one specifically is 20% robusta.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
            Probably depends a lot on where you are actually staying.
            Lots to choose from in Sydney...
            https://coffeesnobs.com.au/nsw-act/2...ydney-cbd.html

Mal.
            Thanks, but the thing is - when someone says a coffee is good - I don’t know what his taste is like, maybe he drinks lattes, maybe he likes this citrus flavor.
            Thanks.

Comment

Why not let us know the type of coffee you prefer, or are accustomed to, as well as the country you are from.

Your not giving us much to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by yonika View Post

Arrived in Sydney 3 days ago. First time in Australia.
                Ive been to 3 very high rated places.
                So why does it taste so acidic ??? Are Australian roasters under-roasting Their beans on purpose?

Any suggestions?
                Hard for us to recommend a cafe without knowing which cafes you've already tried to give us a benchmark. Also, how do you usually take your coffee (white/ espresso / long black / filter)?
                There is a trend towards lighter roasts here to preserve flavour. You might check the bean hopper at the cafe and opt for darker roasts but it also depends on barista skill.

Comment

Sounds like you’re hitting the hipster joints.

Some of them are really overdoing the light roast fad at the moment.

Comment

The further you move away from the CBD and inner west the better it will get.....

Comment

I’m wary when I see an EK43 on the bench.

Usually goes hand in hand with the hipster roast.

Comment

Originally posted by yonika View Post
                        I am from Israel. But it’s difficult to know by that I think. Because I don’t know if you’ve been there and Baristas in Israel suck most of the time.

I usually drink double espressos.
                        And I think Israel’s coffee culture is leaning more towards the Italian type of taste.

The beans that I like most from known brands are:
                        Mauro - centoprecento - https://www.espresso-international.c...o-1000g-beans/

Cafe diemme- Caffè Diemme - Caffè Diemme

Hausbrandt - Hausbrandt Espresso Whole Beans 2.2lbs - this one specifically is 20% robusta.

thanks.
                        To whoever asks me what I’m drinking or where I’m from...

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
                          The further you move away from the CBD and inner west the better it will get.....
                          Sorry for my ignorance, but what is CBD ?
                          We’re currently located Sydney - castle hill.
                          Unfortunately we’re not leaving Sydney - we came here for a family wedding.

So I’d like to know if there’s a good caffe somewhere in central Sydney which is not on the hipster side of things

My family has an SMEG automatic machine so I was looking for beans at Chloe’s, but I didn’t find anything familiar and afraid buying light roasted beans again

thanks.

Comment

CBD is the central business district. Around the harbour, opera house, town hall and so on.

Castle Hill is not a typical place for a tourist to stay, as it is on the outskirts of greater Sydney, and not well known for any major tourism attractions as far as I’m aware.

Where are you visiting from?

Comment

If you like blends with Robusta you might be best to try cafes advertising Vittoria or LaVazza beans.

Comment

Working...
                              X