Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waste not, want not (steam).

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Waste not, want not (steam).

    Wastefully purging the steam wand is the last thing I do after making a coffee. Which got me to thinking, "The superfluous steam has got to have some use".
    I tried cleaning my eye glasses by first steaming them, then wiping them with a lint free cloth. It worked surprisingly well. Way better than any of the store bought solutions I've tried over the years - and it's free.

    Ps in future I'll make this a part of my coffee making routine, instead of waiting until I start bumping into things.

    Ps 2 I'll try it on my DVDs next.

    Ps 3 any CSs interested in buying an assortment of redundant isopropyl alcohol wipes, sprays etc should probably reread this post.

  • #2
    It's not really a good idea to steam your lenses clean, it could remove coatings. The best way to clean glasses is a warm water rinse and a then drop of washing up liquid on each lens, a gentle massage and then rinsed and dried.

    Comment


    • #3
      Perhaps you could cut up a few squares of your carpet, blast them briefly with your steam, then replace the carpet?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by OCD View Post
        Wastefully purging the steam wand is the last thing I do after making a coffee.
        I can't tell if you're serious or taking the piss on that one.

        Comment


        • #5
          I toss and turn at night thinking of all the wasted steam in the boiler after my evening coffee.

          What could it have been. What did it want from life. Am i a bad person for keeping the steam locked up instead of being free?
          Who am i.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
            I toss and turn at night thinking of all the wasted steam in the boiler after my evening coffee.

            What could it have been. What did it want from life. Am i a bad person for keeping the steam locked up instead of being free?
            Who am i.
            Thomas Aquinas?
            Last edited by Barry O'Speedwagon; 10 May 2019, 08:53 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Drink your coffee black. Problem solved

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Erimus View Post
                It's not really a good idea to steam your lenses clean, it could remove coatings. The best way to clean glasses is a warm water rinse and a then drop of washing up liquid on each lens, a gentle massage and then rinsed and dried.
                After turning the steam wand on fully, I slowly raised the back of my hand up to it. At about 5 or 6 centimetres from the nozzle it started to get uncomfortably hot. Any distance below that, with the steam turned way down, gave my glasses no more than a gentle misting.

                Ps I wear different glasses when driving, reading or doing computer work and I'm too lazy to rinse, soap, massage, rinse again then finally dry, especially when misting (just the lenses) then drying does the job so well. As always ymmv.

                Ps 2 worked a treat on my DVDs too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                  Perhaps you could cut up a few squares of your carpet, blast them briefly with your steam, then replace the carpet?
                  Come on! Why would I want to cut up my carpet when I can just take the coffee machine to the carpet?

                  Ps If the mountain will not come to Muhammad...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dischucker View Post
                    I can't tell if you're serious or taking the piss on that one.
                    We're probably of a different generation. Definitely of a different mind set.

                    Ps vive la difference.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's water.

                      Therefore it cleans.


                      Java "Loves putting da cart in front of da horse" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use a little of the steam to moisten a microfiber towel to wipe down the stainless on the machine.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So it would seem that the steam in my machine does want to escape and see the world.

                          The machine has decided to start turning itself on automatically during the night at some point. At least it hasn't come and tried to kill me in my sleep for keeping it's steam locked up for the past 10 or so months.


                          (On a more serious note, it's a Bezzera Matrix and I'll be contacting the supplier next week to resolve this. It has an auto on/off timer which is evidently playing up)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very nice looking bit of kit is the matrix!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I can’t remember whether I took the red pill or the blue pill. [emoji52]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X