Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Espresso and Vegemite (or any other 'mite)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Espresso and Vegemite (or any other 'mite)

    I've only been in the home espresso game for about 7 weeks now (to me it is a game as the goal posts change daily ).

    Now, I've eaten Vegemite nearly every day of my decades of living but I've had stop having it for breakfast. The reason: it does something to the taste buds which changes the taste and lessens the pleasure of that first double shot long black if it's drunk not too long after the Vegemite.

    My experiments also found Aussiemite and Marmite banished from the breakfast table.

    Just plain buttered (or margarine'd in my vegan world) toast is now the brekkie 'plat du jour'.

  • #2
    You're obviously spreading it on to thickly.

    This Marmite you speak of is not the real McCoy, it's a Sanitarium product for Australia and New Zealand. The real Marmite is imported into Australia from the UK under the name of 'Our Mate', (available in Coles and Woolies) and there is a difference. One of the differences of Our Mate is that it is runnier than Vegemite enabling it to be spread much thinner on your toast.

    Comment


    • #3
      That ugly, salt-infested black tarry yeast goop has always been banned from my breakfast, lunch and dinner table. I shake my head in utter disbelief when I read of expatriate Australians saying the like being in their new country...but "boo hoo, I miss my vegemite."

      Comment


      • #4
        At 57 years of age, I still love my Vegemite.
        If I can see the toast, bread or cracker I'm spreading it on, there is not enough of it!

        It might not be to everyone taste, if you don't like it don't knock it, it's a lot healthier than a lot of sh#t people eat these days.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by robusto View Post
          That ugly, salt-infested black tarry yeast goop has always been banned from my breakfast, lunch and dinner table. I shake my head in utter disbelief when I read of expatriate Australians saying the like being in their new country...but "boo hoo, I miss my vegemite."
          Don’t hold back, tell you what you really think!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by robusto View Post
            That ugly, salt-infested black tarry yeast goop has always been banned from my breakfast, lunch and dinner table. I shake my head in utter disbelief when I read of expatriate Australians saying the like being in their new country...but "boo hoo, I miss my vegemite."
            Isn't "Do you like vegemite?" on the Australian citizenship test? 😉

            Comment


            • #7
              Lol. (I did omit the expletives)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by topshot View Post
                At 57 years of age, I still love my Vegemite.
                If I can see the toast, bread or cracker I'm spreading it on, there is not enough of it!
                Yeah, while we're all here, let's not forget that there are people out there who don't like/ can't drink coffee.

                One of my fondest childhood memories was a slice of fresh bread spread with (real) butter and just the right amount of Vegemite. A school lunch staple was a Vegemite and lettuce sandwich
                I can't get that taste experience anymore so only occasionally have Vegemite. Does anyone else think that Vegemite from a small jar tastes better than that from a large jar?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
                  Isn't "Do you like vegemite?" on the Australian citizenship test? 
                  When I've received Australian citizenship about 25 years ago we did not have tests. But I strongly support the proposal to include Vegemite testing in the current Australian citizenship test, and candidates who do not like Australian Vegemite should not be granted this great privilege to become Australian citizens.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Loooooooove Vegemite! Have been known to eat straight from the jar, no toast needed!

                    But yep, I always keep Vegemite eating and coffee sessions very far apart. In fact I'm not even a fan of eating food with coffee! Always on its own

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                      Loooooooove Vegemite! Have been known to eat straight from the jar, no toast needed!
                      Oh yes!! Nothing like standing at the kitchen bench eating a spoonful or two straight from the jar. When toast does happen on the scene, Vegemite needs to be spread as thick as a jam.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dalby View Post
                        Oh yes!! Nothing like standing at the kitchen bench eating a spoonful or two straight from the jar. When toast does happen on the scene, Vegemite needs to be spread as thick as a jam.
                        Yep, that's the way to spread it.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X