Full results for 2019 Golden Bean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full results for 2019 Golden Bean

Noticed that the full results for the 2019 Golden Bean Aus/NZ have been published. Here's the link in case you're interested.

https://goldenbean.com.au/wp-content..._preso_web.pdf

Interesting reading, was totally surprised how many Aussie grown coffees there was. Also the franchise/chain section gives the game away who roasts for whom.

Comment

Interesting indeed. The sheer number of bronze they award devalues it for me.

Comment

Hmmm...

I see what you mean mate. Pages upon pages of Bronze Awards seems odd.
        How do they determine the various class winners, using a Bell Curve based on individual scores, statistical analysis??
        Sure seems out of balance what ever method is used.

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          Hmmm...

I see what you mean mate. Pages upon pages of Bronze Awards seems odd.
          How do they determine the various class winners, using a Bell Curve based on individual scores, statistical analysis??
          Sure seems out of balance what ever method is used.

Mal.
          Someone once told me that unless it's an absolute clanger, you get a Bronze. Many companies consider it cheap advertising ($100/medal) and Joe Average thinks you came third, when in fact you may actually have come 103rd.. Silver and Gold do actually mean something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	taco.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	751081

Comment

I think (from memory) I was told when i enquired last year that for each category something like 20% of coffees were awarded a medal.

Gold is clearly the best in category. Silver the next top whatever percent. Bronze the rest of the 20%.

Could be totally wrong though, numbers may be way off!

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
              Interesting indeed. The sheer number of bronze they award devalues it for me.
              I was wondering if I was the only one that found that a bit odd.

Comment

They probably use the same scoring as Wine Shows, so Bronze is basically saying they got at least 15.5 out of 20pts. Not so much a ranking.

Gold-medal: 18.5–20.0 points

Outstanding quality

Silver-medal: 17.0–18.4 points

Excellent standard

Bronze-medal: 15.5–16.9 points

Very good wine for its class

3 points for sight – clarity, depth, intensity. Wines generally always receive a score of ‘3’ for colour unless they’re faulty (cloudy or hazy).

7 points for nose – initial aroma, bouquet, fruit character.

10 points for palate – flavour, complexity, balance and length.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockford View Post
                  They probably use the same scoring as Wine Shows, so Bronze is basically saying they got at least 15.5 out of 20pts. Not so much a ranking.

Gold-medal: 18.5–20.0 points

Outstanding quality

Silver-medal: 17.0–18.4 points

Excellent standard

Bronze-medal: 15.5–16.9 points

Very good wine for its class

3 points for sight – clarity, depth, intensity. Wines generally always receive a score of ‘3’ for colour unless they’re faulty (cloudy or hazy).

7 points for nose – initial aroma, bouquet, fruit character.

10 points for palate – flavour, complexity, balance and length.
                  Nope. Only 1 gold is awarded per category and a very small amount of silvers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockford View Post
                    They probably use the same scoring as Wine Shows,
                    No, not even the wine shows use that system these days.

Now it's 95, 90 and 85 and the splits are usually about 5% gold, about 10% Silver and anywhere from 20 - 40% Bronze.

Don't forget there is a degree of self selection before the show even starts: entries are expensive so you only put in things that might get a gong. As an example there were around 3000 entries to Royal Melbourne this year, that's an average of a bit over 1 wine per winery (there are far too many wineries in Australia) and even that number is skewed by the big guys putting in lots of entries.

Comment

Hmmm ok, there goes that theory :-)

There are scoring sheets for the Golden Bean readily available via Googling but they only give a score per aspect but not in the context of others.
                      http://goldenbean.com.au/go/scoresheet

Comment

Just to help clarify ...... and in fairness to the nature of the competition.....

Golden Bean has a logistical problem dealing with the sheer numbers of entries, available judges and available time.
                        They award 1 Gold, 5 Silver, and 15 Bronze medal scores in each category...... which seems reasonable, yes? But there's the rub for the discussion above.
                        What happens when you have 100 coffees scoring the same points? Join the dots.

Comment

Working...
                        X