Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world is hooked on Australian coffee culture.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world is hooked on Australian coffee culture.

Not a bad article, if just a tad over exaggerated.

Nice to see Italian immigrants to Australia recognised as the originators of our (world domination)

I've noticed over the years that coffee has been steadily improving in the US, and yes, I've also encountered a couple of cafes run by Aussie's, but to say its taking over is typical ABC over hype.

It certainly is easier to get good espresso here than most other places in the world (except Italy) of course others will disagree.

Regardless, it's an interesting read.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...rseas/11747342
    Last edited by Yelta; 28 December 2019, 01:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Interesting the way someone at the ABC changes the headline if the first attempt doesn't generate enough interest.

This article started out as
    The world is hooked on Australian coffee culture. This is how it got so good

A few hours later the same piece has the banner.

Australian coffee is the new gold standard — and not just for 'chin-stroking inner-urban Instagrammers'

Comment

Perhaps if the writer had told us something we didn't already know, more people would have bothered.

At best, a very mildly interesting distraction if the cricket had become too predictable.....

Comment

Coffee quality in Australia is great when compared to a lot of other countries. If you guys have traveled to the likes of America, Hongkong, China and other various Asian Countries, you will appreciate what we have here.
        I paid $10 for a latte in Japan and sad to say it would be easily beaten in taste by any decent local coffee shop in Australia.

Comment

They're not wrong. I noticed this a long time ago, travelling to Australia from Canada. My wife and I visited in 2003 and were astonished at how much better the coffee was than what we typically got at home. And it was pretty much across the board—didn't matter which cafe you went into, it was always top-notch. Melbourne was particularly spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            Interesting the way someone at the ABC changes the headline if the first attempt doesn't generate enough interest.

This article started out as
            The world is hooked on Australian coffee culture. This is how it got so good
            A few hours later the same piece has the banner.
            Australian coffee is the new gold standard — and not just for 'chin-stroking inner-urban Instagrammers'

In an online world, it is fairly common for the author of a news article to go back and edit and/or update it.
            In the old print only days, you might see edited versions of articles appearing in the evening papers.

Comment

I have found good coffee to be a southern hemisphere thing. It is easy to get a good cup in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I have never been to Argentina or Chile so it would be interesting to taste their coffee but the coffee I drank in Holland, Belgium, France and England was disgusting. Also I have heard horror stories about coffee in the US

Comment

A friend of mine travelled to Taiwan recently, and the coffee was exceptional. Most cafes he went to were micro roasters with a wide variety of beans available. He was asked which Origen he would like, and then given options on how it was processed. There were 5 or so cafes like thus within a short walk from the hotel. He brought a bag of Ethiopian beans back for me and they were delicious, really floral and complex.

Here’s a pic of the bean selection in one:

There are some great specialty cafes in Australia, but I’ve never seen anything quite like this.

Comment

Actually if I saw something like that in a cafe here I'd stear clear of it. I can see more marketing than coffee :-)
                  It looks like those Nescafe setups in shopping centres.

When you have such a large range when and how does the grinder get adjusted for what that customer decided to choose? The good cafes I have seen have maybe two or three varieties for that day and a dedicated grinder for each, adjusted that morning and an occasional adjustment during the day.

Also the more varieties you have, the longer they sit on the shelf.

Mike

Comment

There are plenty of cafes using slightly modified EK43 grinders with extra fine dial readouts. They then single dose to a known grind setting and hit the mark every time.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                      There are plenty of cafes using slightly modified EK43 grinders with extra fine dial readouts. They then single dose to a known grind setting and hit the mark every time.
                      Okies. That would make things easier for them and less grinders on the bench tops.

Comment

I think you have it on the money speleomike, I can't see how any cafe manages 35 varieties of bean - that's got to be a logistical nightmare - most of those varieties have to be very stale - unless they are roasting them to order as well - (little joke).

Comment

Working...
                        X