Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a good coffee cup?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What makes a good coffee cup?

    I was wondering what makes a good coffee cup - is the thick walled brown cup in fashion for traditional reasons or does it actually improve the coffee? If so why is that - does the thick wall just retain heat or is there some other mystical property of this cup style? Traditional tea cups are thin walled bone china so quite different.

    Just curious.

    Chris

  • #2
    Re: What makes a good coffee cup?

    Not sure where "asond" came from in the subject line - just to reassure everyone it has no obscure meaning.

    Chris

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What makes a good coffee cup?asond

      Good question Chris!

      I have been looking for some new coffee cups to go with my new machine I just cant make a decision!!!

      Sue

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What makes a good coffee cup?asond

        Originally posted by cjhfield link=1188428062/0#0 date=1188428062
        I was wondering what makes a good coffee cup - is the thick walled brown cup in fashion for traditional reasons or does it actually improve the coffee? If so why is that - does the thick wall just retain heat or is there some other mystical property of this cup style? Traditional tea cups are thin walled bone china so quite different.

        Just curious.

        Chris
        Personally, I think a good coffee cup is one that is thick walled and retains heat well. I dont think, other than retaining heat, it effects the flavour of the coffee much, but I do think it forms part of the experience. Much like sipping tea from a fine bone china cup is part of the experience too, IMHO.

        Originally posted by Sueb link=1188428062/0#2 date=1188447316
        Good question Chris!

        I have been looking for some new coffee cups to go with my new machine I just cant make a decision!!!

        Sue
        if you look over in the Hardware For Sale section of the Marketplace youll find another member, Dennis, who is putting together an order of cups from Nouva Point that are well worth looking into. I searched high and low for them and couldnt find anywhere else that I could get them from.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What makes a good coffee cup?asond

          Hi Chris

          For me, a good coffee cup has to have a number of qualities...

          1. They need to look good (aesthetics).

          2. They need to feel good in your hand (comfort).

          3. They need to be of good quality - not all cups are manufactured of the same material or fired at the same temperatures. This affects the density of the cups and their resistance to breakage, just as glaze quality affects resistance to chipping, crazing, and once again feel. The what cups are manufacture from and how they are manufactured play an important role in that this also determines how quickly the cup will warm up, and how well it will retain heat.

          4. Size - does the size of the cup suit your tastes and needs? Most European cups are slightly smaller than the cups that tend to be used here in AU. Ususally they differ by about 50ml. while that equates to only about 2 tablespoons, this can be important to a lot of people. eg. I prefer coffee with milk, but strong. Therefore the smaller cup is perfect for me and means I get to have a 2nd cup of coffee!

          5. Price is important too - you should be getting value for money spent.

          6. And as for the thicker walls - well, apart from retaining heat and making a sturdier product, they serve another purpose. When placing the cup to ones mouth, the thicker wall is said to force the drinker to open their mouth a little more than when drinking from say, a fine bone china teacup. The idea behind this is that you inhale air in with the coffee, and that enhances the flavour.

          One of our site sponsors, Veneziano Caffe, have ACF Italian made cups in stock. As decent cups seemed totally unavailable a few months ago, I started making enquiries O/S and consequently ordered cups from ACFs main competitor, Nuova Point, though dont expect delivery till end Oct , Mid-Nov. There is plenty of info on them here...

          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1184191235

          Feel free to wade through all 14 pages of posts in that thread, or your welcome to send me a pm with any questions you might have. I guess in the end, like most things in life, it comes down to personal preference.


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What makes a good coffee cup?

            I think for espresso, the size and shape may make a difference.

            Wine glasses for example are intentionally made to control the surface area exposed to air, to allow you to swirl blah blah

            http://www.bestwineglass.com/pages/shapes___taste/29.php

            Why would similar concepts not apply to coffee?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What makes a good coffee cup?asond

              Originally posted by Dennis link=1188428062/0#4 date=1188459723
              Hi Chris

              For me, a good coffee cup has to have a number of qualities...

              1. They need to look good (aesthetics).

              2. They need to feel good in your hand (comfort).


              Totally agree with Dennis.

              I have some round bottomed 215ml cap cups that look great, are perfect for brekky coffee and for showing off latte art (well attempting too).

              A couple of weeks ago I bought some ACF 140ml tulip cups from Veneziano Caffe, these are great for a real cappuccino, as they give the right proportion of milk to coffee, therefore a little stronger and as Dennis says a good excuse for a second cup.


              Cheers Gazz

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What makes a good coffee cup?

                Originally posted by recurve boy link=1188428062/0#5 date=1188521552
                I think for espresso, the size and shape may make a difference.

                Wine glasses for example are intentionally made to control the surface area exposed to air, to allow you to swirl blah blah

                http://www.bestwineglass.com/pages/shapes___taste/29.php

                Why would similar concepts not apply to coffee?
                Hmm....dont think this is always the case...the following pic has NOT been enhanced...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What makes a good coffee cup?

                  Is the above picture a "Big MACciato" or just supersize me?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What makes a good coffee cup?

                    Originally posted by Dennis link=1188428062/0#7 date=1188531894
                    Hmm....dont think this is always the case...the following pic has NOT been enhanced...


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What makes a good coffee cup?

                      Answer: a good coffe cup maker!
                      No seriously, anything that helps you enjoy a good coffee... for example when i go espresso my lips love the feel of a warmed thick rounded rim, although for a machiato i prefer the feel and look of a short italian piccolo glass. Check out dollar shops for great one off odd cups and hard to find shapes etc...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X