Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammers

Did anyone else get contacted by ACMA?

They called me today to ask if Id let them tell the spammers which email address of mine they spammed.
    Its to help them impose more severe penalties supposedly than merely saying "we got 20 complaints".

The guy quoted big $ numbers for potential fines.

Re: Spammers

I dont think I would like to confirm my address to spammers... no matter the situation :P
    I take it you have made previous complaints regarding to spam? I dont see why they would just call you otherwise.

Interesting...

Comment

Who is ACMA and are you sure this isnt a scam to get your email address so they can spam more??

Comment

Australian Government - Australian Communications and Media Authority

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1188461151/0#2 date=1188462397
          Who is ACMA and are you sure this isnt a scam to get your email address so they can spam more??
          They already had my email address Scoots.
          It was because of the complaint I lodged about those spammers who will remain nameless so as not to promote their business name any further.

Of course it was genuine because no one else has my phone number and that email address.

Comment

Nice to see our tax dollars working then, if they do actually go ahead with pursuing the fines from the spammers.

Comment

What got up my nose more was the "accidental" second lot the IT dept. sent out.
              The list should have been destroyed as soon as they apologised after the first mailing.

In reality, you can set up quite a few email accounts with most business website hostings.
              They could have made up a list of dummy accounts and sent the test emails to themselves.
              So the excuse doesnt wash with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1188461151/0#6 date=1188613591
                What got up my nose more was the "accidental" second lot the IT dept. sent out.
                The list should have been destroyed as soon as they apologised after the first mailing.

In reality, you can set up quite a few email accounts with most business website hostings.
                They could have made up a list of dummy accounts and sent the test emails to themselves.
                So the excuse doesnt wash with me.
                Thats one of the things that made me so angry about it too TG. Like you, I know just how easy it is NOT to breach the privacy legislation and how deliberate or extremely incompetent you have to be too breach it. Just so stupid. I hope they get in touch with me, ill be happy to help ACMA out further.

Comment

Working...
                X