Bottomless portafilter handle angle or straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottomless portafilter handle angle or straight

I would like to know how one tamps a bottomless portafilter. My normal handles are on an incline and am wondering whether it is difficult to tamp a filter which is like this. I noticed that where the handle meet the filter holder it protrudes so the portafliter will not sit flat.
    Is this an issue? I guess when I tamp I can tamp on the edge of the bench.
    Is there options for straight handles instead on the OEM inclined and if so which would be your preference?

I just tamp mine on top of the knock box cross bar thingy

Comment

Originally posted by Rodels View Post
      Is there options for straight handles
      There are, but you may have to change the whole portafilter, rather than just the handle. The "angle" is determined by the bolt connection on the portafilter body (ie: the round metal section that holds the finer basket. Switching the handle won't appreciably change the angle.

A common way to tamp a bottomless portafilter is to tamp at the edge of the bench. There are tamping mats designed specifically for this purpose, with a "waterfall" edge that hangs off the bench.

Comment

I made this block up, does the job perfectly, there are also commercially made options.
        https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/acces...ing-mats-bases

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0288_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	753141
        Last edited by Yelta; 10 February 2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
          There are, but you may have to change the whole portafilter, rather than just the handle.
          I don't own one yet and I am wondering if I can get either straight or the inclined which is preferred. I am thinking the incline handle and getting a block or mat so when I tamp both my bottomless and spouted filter my technique are kept relatively the same.

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          I made this block up.
          I see your handle is straight, are your OEM handles straight?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodels View Post
            I see your handle is straight, are your OEM handles straight?
            Yes they are.

Comment

these are the handles i use and they work great with this tamping station.

If just using a bottomless, you can just tamp on the bench top with a rubber mat to not put markings on the bench, it will sit perfectly straight and you dont need to change your handles to straight ones.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by JohnA; 10 February 2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Ours is a very similar setup to John's above and has been in use for 12+ years...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X