Cruise Ship Coffee. Yuck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Ship Coffee. Yuck.

From the outset, this post relates solely and wholly to the espresso coffee on the Golden Princess cruise ship.

The International cafe in the Deck 5 Piazza is one of the most popular spots on the ship...sadly it also serves up the worst espressos, in my opinion.

Each time I asked for a single shot, I got a very black, very bitter brew, without even a hint of crema. It tasted burnt.

A spoonful of sugar and some milk was mandatory to make it drinkable --and I don't generally have either in my espressos.

On the final night of our 14-day cruise Melbourne to New Zealand and back last night I couldn't hold back any longer.

Am I drinking Robusta? But no crema. Maybe very stale? Dunno.

The bean hopper was full of black, oily beans.

I asked the two "baristas" what beans they were using. Robusta? Arabica? They didn't know what I was referring to.

I asked about the Simonella's temperature. One of the guys opened the water tap into a cup and stuck a thermometer into it. I politely explained that was not relevant.

He pointed to the pressure gauge...Was that the temperature he asked me? Nope, I said. But at least the 9 bars was in the ball park.

The two did however acknowledge the oily beans and lack of crema as signs something was amiss.

I'm not blaming them for the terrible coffee. They just work there. But the hierarchy should know better and do better.

The food and service on this ship is amazingly good. Better than the best I've had in many a restaurant. Princess cruises goes out of its way to uphold a high standard. The coffee should be too. But sadly it's not.

I asked a waiter whether I was the only one to complain. No surprise to me, I was.

From my limited observation I was probably the only passenger ordering espresso, too. Lattes, cappuccinos, for all else. But even after a couple of those, my wife stopped ordering them.

That is a real spoiler. Must have been quite a decision whether to board the ship or not, knowing a sister ship was in quarantine.

Comment

We booked the cruise a year ago. We weren't worried about the Diamond Princess quarantine, although we did feel for its passengers, imprisoned in their cabins while we enjoyed the freedom to move and enjoy the vast spaces on this luxurious 290 metre-long monster. We walked briskly bout 10-13 km a day as exercise, enjoyed unlimited extremely good, delicious food and service...while on the Diamond Princess nightmare it obviously was the worst experience imaginable. The Diamond P. is due back in service on April 29, with all passengers getting a refund and free future cruise, and crew given 2 months time off with pay I believe.

Comment

I had a similar experience on a cruise ship a few years ago, after the second day I gave up on any of the coffee on board and went without. However since then I have read a bunch of stuff on the absolutely terrible environmental impact of cruise ships. If I had known beforehand I would not have gone.

Comment

Robusto glad to hear you didn't have to second guess before getting on. You surprised me with the 10-13km a day of brisk walking, didn't expect that.

Comment

Originally posted by 338 View Post
            'Robusto .... You surprised me with the 10-13km a day of brisk walking, didn't expect that'.

Ooo... not hard when your taste buds are dragging the rest of your a..e around seeking the Espresso those same taste buds are craving!
            And can't understand whats goin on with the sudden cold turkey withdrawal symptoms at play....

On a another point Robusto did said ship only have one espresso machine on board?
            Yes of course if yes I know they will have all served up the very same crap....

Comment

As one who frequents a number of cruise ships every month for service work I have a pretty good take on the cruise ship coffee.
              The free all you can drink coffee you find in the restaurants (think giant hot water urn) is terrible. It's watery, thin and bitter. They do this so that passengers will sign up to a drinks package, which may include free flow barista made coffee.

Generally, on any cruise ship, the main lobby coffee bar has the best baristas and the best tasting coffee of all the coffee bars.

Consistently though, the best coffee is from the officer's private espresso machine, usually found in the kitchen close to the navigation bridge, and the guy making the coffee - some little Filipino guy (usually the window washer) who pulls shots all day long for the European bridge officers.

Comment

We did an Alaskan inside passage cruise last year and the coffee was pretty average, with foresight I took a kg of Volcan Galeras Especial filter roast accompanied by my Clever Dripper and trusty Porlex grinder. Each morning the steward would deliver a large flask of hot water to produce our morning heartstarter!

Comment

Never had any desire to do a 'cruise' but this thread is the final nail in the coffin.
                  If I can't get a 'great' coffee EVERY day - forget it!
                  If I have to take my own coffee making gear - that's not even a possibility.

Sounds like they recruit their "Baristas" from McDonalds.
                  I was watching one of their TV ads and wondering if "Barista-made coffee" is false advertising.
                  Does being 'taught' by another person who calls themself a "Barista" make YOU a "Barista"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                    Never had any desire to do a 'cruise' but this thread is the final nail in the coffin.
                    If I can't get a 'great' coffee EVERY day - forget it!
                    If I have to take my own coffee making gear - that's not even a possibility.

Sounds like they recruit their "Baristas" from McDonalds.
                    I was watching one of their TV ads and wondering if "Barista-made coffee" is false advertising.
                    Does being 'taught' by another person who calls themself a "Barista" make YOU a "Barista"?
                    I'm with you Rocky. Looks like a floating RSL club to me If I did go for it I'd want a balcony. Maybe one of those European river cruises with 'no riff-raff', Basil Fawlty style painted on the gangway. I like houseboats though.

EDIT: I should note that I have no particular objection to RSL clubs and the like.....I just like the idea being able to go home when I've seen enough.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                      I'm with you Rocky. Looks like a floating RSL club to me
                      I just like the idea being able to go home when I've seen enough.
                      There is a reason why cruise ships look like floating RSL clubs inside. They are marketing to the same people. Glitz, glamour, gambling, grog and some food thrown in.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike View Post
                        There is a reason why cruise ships look like floating RSL clubs inside. They are marketing to the same people. Glitz, glamour....
                        We must have been to different RSL clubs

Comment

#Meetwo....I'm with Rocky 'n Bazzer

ps.. I kinda thought smorgasbord's went out in the nineties...

Comment

Originally posted by 338 View Post
                            Robusto glad to hear you didn't have to second guess before getting on. You surprised me with the 10-13km a day of brisk walking, didn't expect that.
                            Interesting. Just curious, but why is it a surprise? We do 4 km a day every day at home, but we don't consume anywhere as near the amount of calories as on the ship, either. Hence the need to walk those calories off before they linger around the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                              I'm with you Rocky. Looks like a floating RSL club to me If I did go for it I'd want a balcony. Maybe one of those European river cruises with 'no riff-raff', Basil Fawlty style painted on the gangway. I like houseboats though.

EDIT: I should note that I have no particular objection to RSL clubs and the like.....I just like the idea being able to go home when I've seen enough.
                              It's easy to describe how unlike an RSL club these floating cities are. Food is unbelievably good. Unbelievably good. Wait service is as good as you'll get in top restaurants. When you've had enough you go to your cabin and do what you like, ask for free room service if still hungry, watch movies etc.

But the no riff-raff Fawlty Towers approach I do like!! Can't believe how most men have no sense of style, clueless what to wear and when. Conversely, women do make an effort at night to change into elegant clothes...with their comparative slob dress husbands in tow with the outmoded baggy cargo shorts, thongs and tank tops, elbow bent carrying their precious beer bottle comforter.
                              Last edited by robusto; 26 February 2020, 11:06 PM. Reason: Correct spell correct

Comment

Working...
                              X