Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New way to drink instant coffee - thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New way to drink instant coffee - thoughts??

Dalgona coffee - equal parts instant coffee, sugar, hot water -> whipped and served over ice. It’s trending on tiktok, YouTube and other social media platforms. Earning a huge following, the foam looks so light and fluffy. Haven’t bought instant coffee in 6 years, not even when I’m on night shifts (v60s, aeropress and cold brews :’)) but tempted to try this out!

Let me know what you think or if anyone has tried making this with espresso.

https://jessicainthekitchen.com/how-...a-coffee-tips/

rustykrab that is a lot of sugar! You would want to like sugar.

Haven't tried it, probably wouldn't because not a fan of sugar or instant coffee - but the hot water sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by 338 View Post
      - but the hot water sounds good
      A bit of ice is good at other times, so the recipe is not all a waste.

No, rustykrab, not really for me.

Comment

Going to try this today/tmr and let you guys know what I think.

Agreed, coffee with sugar not my thing either, but will see how it goes.

Comment

There are a lot of dangerous trends on social media and this looks like another one. Good luck with your experiment.

Comment

The article fails to mention that the critical part is having equal amounts of instant coffee and disdain for your tastebuds.

Comment

Hmm... looks interesting but I will choose to remain ignorant with this one..... reminds me of my early fatherhood days.

Comment

Looks closer to toffee than coffee, not my cup of tea

Comment

This isn't new. Back in my Dark Ages of coffee consumption, I would sometimes use a spoon to whip instant coffee, sugar and a dash of water to a similar toffee-like consistency. Add hot water and you could end up with foam. It is known as India cappuccino or Pakistani latte

Comment

My famous Greek friend George told me how to make genuine Greek style iced coffee (frappe).
                    It is similar to this thread..
                    3 satchets of instant coffee (spoons?)+ 3 satchets of sugar, add maybe 1/3 cup cold water, all in a shaker cup. Shake till thick! Serve on ice.
                    Pretty good I thought, but a bit sweet for every day.
                    Last edited by Jackster; 25 March 2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Dalgona coffee has been appearing on my YouTube feed for the last few days, thought I'd give it a try this morning using espresso, as I don't like instant coffee. Unfortunately I just can't get the mixture to whip up to a cream like consistency. Have tried adding a teaspoon of cream of tartar but luck

Ingredients used in first attempt:
                      60g freshly brewed espresso
                      60g white sugar
                      3g cream of tartar

Any ideas why espresso doesn't work?

Edit: the reason I added cream of tartar was because I came across a YouTube post of a failed attempt using only espresso and sugar. I've used cream of tartar to help whip up egg whites and sugar but I guess the chemical reaction is different due to eggs being more a protein compared to espresso
                      Last edited by rustic; 25 March 2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Fellow snobs! I have tried it out and as expected it tastes like instant coffee with alot of sugar and milk. The texture though is very nice. Apparently it works with chocolate and matcha so that's what I'll be doing instead.

It was fun but what will I now do with the Moccona that I bought?

Picture below!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2f33a0ec-32c3-45c6-9e24-1995b41d609e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	753358

Comment

Originally posted by rustic View Post
                          Dalgona coffee has been appearing on my YouTube feed for the last few days, thought I'd give it a try this morning using espresso, as I don't like instant coffee. Unfortunately I just can't get the mixture to whip up to a cream like consistency. Have tried adding a teaspoon of cream of tartar but luck

Ingredients used in first attempt:
                          60g freshly brewed espresso
                          60g white sugar
                          3g cream of tartar

Any ideas why espresso doesn't work?

Edit: the reason I added cream of tartar was because I came across a YouTube post of a failed attempt using only espresso and sugar. I've used cream of tartar to help whip up egg whites and sugar but I guess the chemical reaction is different due to eggs being more a protein compared to espresso
                          I tried it with espresso also, but it wouldn't whip as thickly. Never tried again.

Its nicer without the milk I think. Just the instant, sugar and water on ice cubes.

Comment

Thank you fellow CS’ers you have saved me from a wasted experiment 

Comment

If we are descending to this you may as well use International Roast or Pablo coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X