How unique is the coffee cherry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How unique is the coffee cherry?

In all of creation there is a large number of fruit and veg that contain pips or seeds,
    most of which we discard for the flesh of the fruit or vegetable, except coffee where we discard the flesh and keep the beans...

Have been wondering whether the flesh of the cherries is edible, or more precisely what it tastes like, and whether it is something that maybe shouldnt be thrown away, or is it?
    Is there any food value in it?

I am aware that early references indicate first taste of coffee was by eating the whole cherry,...
    if so, what would have led to the decision to discard the flesh, dry the beans out and roast them?

Can someone enlighten me more on this topic?

Bullitt

Re: How unique is the coffee cherry?

Wasnt it the Ethiopian goat herder who noticed that his goats were more chirpy when they ate the coffee cherries, which in turn (may have been a few steps inbetween) led to the roasting of the seed?

Cheers,

Pat

Comment

I hear civets like the cherries.

BTW, in answer to your question "How unique is the coffee cherry?", something is either unique or it isnt.
      There are no degrees of "uniqueness". :P

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1189057576/0#2 date=1189080366
        I hear civets like the cherries.
        If they like the cherries why are they eaten whole rather than chewed? :-?

Java "Were all unique!" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Quote from Pat..."Wasnt it the Ethiopian goat herder who noticed that his goats were more chirpy when they ate the coffee cherries, which in turn (may have been a few steps inbetween) led to the roasting of the seed?"

Yes this is the common story we hear, my interest was partly to try and find out a bit more about those "in between" steps if possible,
          and I would still be interested in any comments about what the cherry tastes like, and whether it could have any viable use additional to the one we all know so well.

TG. Thank you for the clarification of uniqueness, had never thought about it that way.
          Guess I should have phrased it something like ...Is the coffee cherry unique?...
          English is such a wonderful language isnt it?

Java "insert appropriate filler here" phile,
          "...why are they eaten whole rather than chewed?"
          I guess they must be like my dog,...
          have seen her vacuum food into her mouth..and straight down the throat

Bullitt

Comment

English is a very unique language what I enjoy muchly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt link=1189057576/0#4 date=1189142771
              Java "insert appropriate filler here" phile,
              "...why are they eaten whole rather than chewed?"
              I guess they must be like my dog,...
              have seen her vacuum food into her mouth..and straight down the throat
              That doesnt say much for their taste does it if theyre just inhaling them. Either that or their tastebuds are working just fine and theyre not chewing the beans for a reason! ;D

The question that then begs itself is of course what does that say about the taste of people who then drink what wasnt good enough for them to chew! ;D

Java "Sui Generis" phile

Comment

Hi all

Bullitt asked "Have been wondering whether the flesh of the cherries is edible, or more precisely what it tastes like, and whether it is something that maybe shouldnt be thrown away, or is it?
                Is there any food value in it?"

I did some Googling and have come upon this post which answers part of his question.
                http://www.coffeeforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=17479

Mike

Comment

It seems from the above link that there is a difference of opinion about whether the coffee cherry tastes good to humans. I guess thats due to the difference in humans. Seems to be a consensus, though, that its good as feed for goats, cows and pigs! (which probably says something about what most people think of its table qualities)

I really liked one of the quotes used by a contributor to that thread:

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water".
                  ~The Womens Petition Against Coffee, 1674
                  Ive also heard [going off topic] that because coffee was a gentlemans indulgence, taken in gentlemens clubs where women were excluded, and it became to be seen as decadent and unseemly for respectable women to drink it, so women took up the habit of drinking tea. As serving tea attained the connotations of respectability -- after all, gentlewomen drank it and served it to guests -- tea took over coffee as Englands national drink, as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1189057576/0#5 date=1189149723
                    English is a very unique language what I enjoy muchly.
                    HaHaHaHa ;D

Comment

[QUOTE=Javaphile link=1189057576/0#6 date=1189166353]
                      Originally posted by Bullitt link=1189057576/0#4 date=1189142771

That doesnt say much for their taste does it if theyre just inhaling them. Either that or their tastebuds are working just fine and theyre not chewing the beans for a reason! ;D

Java "Sui Generis" phile
                      Hmm quite possible.

As for the other bit that I deleted, I have no comment.

Bullitt (Sui What?) :-?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt link=1189057576/0#10 date=1189489678
                        Bullitt (Sui What?) :-?
                        Sui GenerisSOO-ee JEN-er-is): No its not a hog call, but as you might have guessed its Latin and means "Of its own genus" or "Unique and unable to classify".

I wonder how well itd work as a Civet call. ;D

Java "Just a bit different" phile

Comment

Working...
                        X